Skip to content
My 3 year old has lost her mind!
Jackie03291 posted:
Sorry I haven't been on lately! I just started back to work from maternity leave, so I will probably be able to get on more often now.

About the past week Ava has gone completely mad I think! I always use to think how lucky I was that we never had any craziness from her and she was always pretty well-behaved compared to some of the horror stories that I have heard. Well no more! I feel like I am at my breaking point with her! This morning she cried and kicked and screamed for 30 minutes about her outfit! I tried being nice when she threw a fit about the first two outfits and finally by the third I just told her that she had no choice and that's what she was wearing! She has absolutely lost it! Time outs don't seem to be working, yelling definitely isn't working, she has even had her mouth smacked a couple of time for the things she has said and that isn't working either! She is an AWESOME big sister and loves to help, so I really don't think that it has anything to do with Natalie. She just has that attitude and bad mouth about everything that I tell her to do and then she throws a fit when you try to make her.

This had better not be a long-lasting phase because I might go insane! One of my co-workers joked that this was the beginning of the end and that she probably wouldn't loose the attitude until she went away for college now!

Please tell me I'm not the only with with a crazy 3 year old???
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 Due 5/4/12

sarahann1978 responded:
Hi Jackie! Cute picture of the girls BTW!

Yes, three year olds can be crazy! I definitely think Austin's behavior at 3 is way worse than it was at 2. At 2 I think it was more of frustration from not being able to communicate, but at 3 it's down right disobedience and stubborness.

Austin also seems to be moody, like one second he will throw a wild tantrum and be crazy, but give him 30 minutes or less and he will be fine and dandy again. I also never know what will set him off, like this morning he threw a tantrum because I have been giving a ride to a teenage girl who lives by me and works where I do. I have been picking her up every morning for a couple of weeks now with no issue, but this morning Austin was mad about it. She doesn't talk to him, hasn't done anything to him, it really should make no difference what-so-ever to him that she is in the car for the 14 mile drive, and yet he went into meltdown mode when we pulled into her driveway.

I remember reading an article where they did a psychology study and that there are some neurons or something in the toddler brain that aren't quite fused together that they linked to tantrums and at age four the things fused and the children became less likely to throw a tantrum. I keep hoping that is the case that that his neurons fuse soon! All I can figure is that I need to stay consistant with the discipline and not give in to tantrums, even if it seems like it isn't working.
Sarah (33) DH (31) DS (Jan 2009) baby girl (Aug 2012)

jlynnpaine responded:
Oh Jackie, I totally understand. Shae has been acting the same way and some days I feel like I'm going to lose my mind because I'm so frustrated. She's started talking back, spitting at us if she's mad, etc. I've just cracked down with the discipline and have quit giving chances because I really think she was pushing to see how far I'd let it go because often, I was distracted with the baby and just told her to stop, rather than actually doing anything about it. It seems like all day she'll act up and then out of no where she'll be super sweet and loving and it just crushes me and makes me feel SO mean. I feel like I don't even know this child most of the time because it really isn't like her. I hope it gets better for both of us soon. This is not fun and I hate feeling like all I do is yell at her.
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

lenono97 responded:
My DD is the same! One day she will be polite and easy-going. The next she won't listen to any thing we say and is very whinny. I can tell she is testing her boundaries and I try to be strict but it's hard. I believe in consistency and re-directing behavior when possible. Time outs don't work, she just screams more! However, overall, I am really enjoying this age. She says the cutest things and can be very sweet. It really makes me not look forward to the teenage years!

Jackie03291 replied to lenono97's response:
OMG, so here is a perfect example from this morning:

Me: Ava, finish up your breakfast, we have to leave soon

Ava: What I wanna do is my business

Me: You better watch your mouth

Ava: Mom, I can't watch my own mouth!

UGHHHHHHHHHH! 3 year olds!!!
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava (10/14/08) Natalie (4/24/12)

lisafinck replied to Jackie03291's response:
Jackie, My DD is literally like 2 wks younger than your DD. Mine is the exact same. I'm with the other moms when they feel like all they do is yell all day. Then she goes to sleep and I feel horrible, because that is the only time of day that I have an actual min to think! So I reflect on the day and feel like the worst mother ever! Then I think about our youngest, who will be 7mos next week, and wonder what she can possibly be thinking. Like "Oh great, this is what I have to look forward to for a mom!" : / But it has got to be an age thing. I started reading up on it, and it makes me feel better knowing that it's normal. But just because it's normal doesn't mean it's sane! : ) Anyhow I just read this and felt I had to chime in. It's hard to be a working mother, heck it's hard just being a mother, but just knowing that we are not alone, and that we will survive helps get through the day! Hehehe : )

Spotlight: Member Stories

my two years six months old baby has refused potty training. she prepfers to wee on the carpet, bed or any where apart from her potty. what do i do to...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.