Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it normal for a 3yr old not to talk?
Lanakutz07 posted:
My 3yr old daughter is not say full sentences, so you can't have a conversation with her, I was wondering if that is normal for a child her age?

Jackie03291 responded:
There are lots of reasons that some kids may not speak as well as others. How long ago did she turn 3? Has she been ahead in other areas? Like motor skills and such? Sometimes that can cause a child to be delayed in other areas like speech. Is she surrounded by people speaking more than one language? This can cuase them to be later in getting a strong grasp of one language. I will say that my daughter is 3, but she will be 4 in October, so relatively soon, and she has been speaking in full sentences for sometime. I know that it was before she turned 3 and they have just progressed from there and we can just sit and have full conversations just about anything and everything now. If you are truly worried and none of these things apply that may explain a possibly delay, then I would probably bring up your concerns at your next pediatrician appointment. Good luck!
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava (10/14/08) Natalie (4/24/12)

Lanakutz07 replied to Jackie03291's response:
December 19, no she hasn't, she has been behind ever since she was born. everyone she is around only speak English. She has a duplicate gene on chromosome 10 and I'm clueless on what the side effects are going to be since she starts preschool this August.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been married for over 9 years. I have a very active DS that will be 3 in December. I work full time so DS is in a home daycare which he loves.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.