Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sippy Cup Nightmare
OneConcernedMama posted:
My daughter will turn 4 in September. She has a relationship with her sippy cup. It is her coping mechanism in life. If she falls down, she wants her sippy. If she is tired or upset, she wants her sippy. We have tried taking it away just cold turkey, but she cries for over 3 hours and never lets up. She gets milk in a sippy when she wakes up in the morning, before her nap, and before bed. She is not allowed to just walk around the house with it. My concern is the connection that she has with it and how to break it. I'm afraid that I'm causing mental or emotional harm by just removing it from her life. I don't know how to teach her a replacement behavior that would provide her with the same level of comforting that the sippy gives her. I am a teacher and a mother of 2. I have never seen a child so attached to an object.

lenono97 responded:
Personally, I think there could be a lot worse things to be attached to. Sounds like she treats the sippy like a teddy bear or favorite blanket. Would you feel the same about the object if it were a teddy or blanket? Why don't you want her to have the sippy. Are you trying to transition to a regular cup? You could try limiting the sippy to only being allowed in the kitchen. Hopefully after a period of time it will be like "out of sight, out of mind." or she won't want to leave her toys or activity to go in to the kitchen to get it. I have never heard or read anything about a sippy being bad for oral health. But I could be wrong. Maybe this is just one of those things you have to let run its course and pick a different battle. Good luck.

Zaysmama responded:
My son wasn't as attached to the sippy but he refused to frink out of a regular cup because he had the sip cup. Our solution was to get the regular cups with the flat lids and give him flexy straws. He had funa bending the straw so he didnt realize his cup was gone and because it wasnt a sip cup he had to remember to be careful not to spill it and then after a few days or so with that cup, we took the lid off of it and left the straw. It was an easier transition than expecting him to pay attention and not spill it.

But as PP stated if it is the attachment that you are worried about, think of it as a blanket or teddy bear. DS still wants a blanket anytime he is hurt or just sleepy, its soothing to him and there is nothing wrong with that!

Well Good Luck and remember it can't last forever, she will let go when she is ready!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! My name is Erin and I live just outside of Green Bay, WI. I'm married with two BEAUTIFUL children. Cameron is 3.5 and Colleen is 1. They are v...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.