Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Staph Infection
krystalbarrett posted:
My 3 year old has staph infection. This is the third time that it has happened. I just saw it at bath time. Its always in the same spot. Its very frustrating. Its not in our house because each time she has had it we have been in a different home. We moved 3 times in the past 2 years. We keep our home as clean as possible. I just cant figure it out. This time is a little different because now we have a baby too. So now Im worried about both my girls.

sarah0323 responded:
Lurking from a different board....

One of my boys gets recurrent staph infections. I quit keeping count after 10. Staph naturally lives on your skin. Some people are more pron to it than others. We keep an eye on it. When we notice a spot I always take him into the Dr. They take a sample of the puss and then start him on antibiotics. He has had a case of MRSA. We were like you we had lived in different places when he got it. I was afraid the first time he got it right after I had had his younger brother. The dr. told me to keep it clean and covered. And wash hands like crazy.

On a recommendation that we got somewhere along the line we started having him use anti-bacterial Dial (The gold colored bar that they have made for years.) After he started using that regularlly I noticed that the number of occurances slowed down. Along with us working on him wearing shoes. (he hated them he will finally wear flip flops outside to play.)

My son was hospitalized for 5 days the first time he had a staff infection. It was a Friday night and he just wasn't himself. By Saturday morning he had a 103 temp so I took him to ER because he just wasn't right. The gave him IV fluids and some advil and sent us on our way. 3 hours after we left the ER we were back. His temp was up to 105 and he had a rash all over his body. I will never forget how terrified I was. After some really strong antibiotics he recovered. But for weeks afterward I remember aganizing over every little thing that I saw.

I wish you luck. I know how frustrating staph is.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Patty, and my son Stephen turned 3 in December 2009. He has a speech delay, and gets to go to preschool 4 mornings a week to help with his spe...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.