Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bleach baths -worried mom
An_248129 posted:
My 3 yr old daughter got severe staph infection 2 months back. Physician recommended antibiotics and bleach baths.

1. On first day of bleach bath I wasn't sure about exact procedure. I did dilute it and she stayed in bath tub quarter filled for 10 mins. Of course no face and hair. After 10 mins I wiped her from tub and put ointment. I didn't rinse her with water to clean bleach on body. From second day I checked online and rinsed her with water. On first day did I do too much damage to her skin? How much bleach her skin would have observed in a day? Will it have any long term impact?

2. In these 2 months she did have recurrent minor episodes and over all she took bleach bath for 20 times in these 2 months. 7 continuos days 2 times and twice a week later. I can say she is free from past 2 weeks. Recently I got to know about bleach bath risks and got scared big time. Did I cause any damage to her lungs or skin at this young age? I trusted doctor more than anything. First day was stupid mistake. I will stop all this now but what is the impact of all this?

3. Along with bleach baths our doctor advised to wash all clothes in bleach. So we did that too from these many days. Any thoughts on this?

4. When she had severe infection we both also took bleach bath 3 times. For adults if we drown completely in tub is there a chance for bleach to go in genitals?

I am thinking about all this from a week and too worried. Any advice would really help. Of course there is nothing much can be done now but I at least want to know truth. If they are really risky why would any doctor advice? Is it really tested treatment and from how long people are using?

Thank you in advance

Jackie03291 responded:
I don't have any experience or have ever heard of bleach baths and I will say that my brother suffers from recurring staph infections, and to my knowledge, he has never been told or given bleach baths to combat the staph infections. I don't remember the exact treatments, but I do remember them having to scrub everything and separate him from the other kids. He was in a hospital when it was contracted and even now he gets flare ups from time to time. I would seriously get a second opinion immediately and get her checked out to make sure she is OK. Do you live in the U.S.?
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava (10/14/08) Natalie (4/24/12)

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mom -

Dr. Benaroch has this great response on our Parenting Community.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this and hope she continues to be staph free. Please talk with your doctor about the bleach concerns and risks vs benefits.

For more information on staph infections and bleach baths see this resource - Staph Infections and MRSA

Please keep us posted on how she is doing,
Elizabeth

User81 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for pointing me to the other post. It helped me to feel better. I live in US.

I am feeling I have not done anything terribly wrong

Spotlight: Member Stories

my name is shanna. i met my husband at 16. we have three beautiful children. 1 girl and 2 boys. my youngest is 3. i am a homemaker which means i do ev...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.