Skip to content
How much to pay sitter?
earleyml1012 posted:
Posting here since you all might have a better idea. We never used a sitter with DD#1, only family watched her. Next weekend we are having a college age girl watch our 1 yr old for about 6 hrs. During this time she'll have to fed her dinner and put her to bed. How much should we pay her?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I'd ask around and see what other parents are paying. A friend's daughter charges $5/hr.

jlynnpaine responded:
We've always paid $5/hr. I have no idea what the going rate is. We also live quite a ways out of town so if the sitter was only there for a couple of hours, we threw in some gas money too so that it was worth her while to drive all the way out to us.
Jodi (28), DH (24), Shaelynn (2), DD2 (due 5/16)

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
I just called a sitter today - $10/hr! It makes it difficult to justify movie, dinner AND $10/hr.

earleyml1012 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I figured I'd just ask her and she said it doesn't matter. Great! That doesn't help. Since she is a college kid on a Saturday night and we'd like to use her again, we were thinking $50 for 6 hrs. It does get expensive b/c we're going to see a musical which is over an hour away, so we'll need to stop some where on the way home for dinner. This was my mom's idea so she's paying for our tickets but it still seems like a ton of money for an afternoon out.

Zaysmama replied to earleyml1012's response:
Thats really nice that your mom bought the tickets. It is extremely hard to justify going out for some adult time when it costs and arm and a leg lol...
Hopefully you enjoy your night out and it brings you and your honey closer! ...
I havent ever used a sitter so I really wouldnt have been any help what so ever! lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

my name is ashley and i am new to the mommy scene and need all the advice i can get..i have a stepdaughter that is 3 and we have one on the way..emoti...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.