Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Articulate DD
tlkittycat1968 posted:
My DD is very articualte in contrast to her brother. Yesterday I was talking about picking up some donuts on the way home from church and asked if she wanted a white one w/sprinkles or a brown one w/sprinkles. First she said white one w/sprinkles and then said "Actually, I think I want an apple fritter." I told her that was too big for her but was amazed at how she said it.
Pround mommy to PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

Zaysmama responded:
My son is almost 4 and he has such a speech problem that I am constantly translating for everyone and sometimes I have to play a guessing game to figure out what he is saying. I am constantly trying to pronounce every sound of every word so that he can pick it up, but it doesn't seem to help. But my cousin (who is a month & a half younger than my son) is much like your daughter. I don't know what to do to help him. Is this a cause of something I did wrong? did you do anything different with your son or daughter?

tlkittycat1968 replied to Zaysmama's response:
My son who is 5 has the same problems as yours. He's been in speech therapy since he was 2 and is in a kindergarten for kids with communication difficulties. I have to translate for DH and like you, sometimes have to guess at what he's saying. He's gotten a lot better but still has a ways to go.

You didn't do anything wrong. I didn't do anything different between my DD and DS.

Is your son in speech therapy? If not, he should be. Contact your pedi for an evaluation.

Zaysmama replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I've tried to talk to the pedi about speech therapy for him and they tell me he is fine and wont give me a referral for it and the only speech therapy in town requires one. He is getting better and we are constantly praising him when he sitting and practices specific words with us. Sometimes he gets frustrated but he's slowly getting better. He will be 4 next month so at his check up I will again talk to the dr about speech therapy.

They keep saying he dosn't need it but when they try to talk to him he either doesn't talk back or he answers yes or no or I translate so I don't even see how they can say he does or doesn't need it! Its really frustrating because I know if I left the room and they tried to have an age appropriate conversation with him, they would have no clue what in the world he was trying to say! I just feel bad because sometimes it really upsets him that no one can understand him.

tlkittycat1968 replied to Zaysmama's response:
Where I live, once a child reaches age 3, they are transferred to the school district. Try contacting your school district and see if they have early intervention services.

Zaysmama replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
ok thanks for the tip. Izayah is supposed to start pre-k in the fall so maybe I will look into something sooner just for his speech. I'd hate to have him go to school and have problems communicating with his teachers and other kids!

Spotlight: Member Stories

my name is ashley and i am new to the mommy scene and need all the advice i can get..i have a stepdaughter that is 3 and we have one on the way..emoti...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.