Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Talk for a 3 year old
anishvitty posted:
Hi,
My daughter is 3 now(jan 2013). She is not talking properly. she says all words and some sentences.(ie i want milk, what is this etc). when she talks sometimes we can't understand.. what to do??

tlkittycat1968 responded:
That's common but you may want to talk to her pediatrician about being evaluated by a speech therapist.
Pround mommy to PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

mikimom2010 responded:
whatever you do, don't compare her to other 3 years olds b/c each one is different. I'm sure her vocabulary is at a very common point for her age. My dd will be 3 in a few weeks and she holds entire conversations and I usually have to ask her 3 or 4 times (or more lol) what she is saying or talking about. Give her some time and work with her at home.

anishvitty replied to mikimom2010's response:
Thank You Mikimom.. working with her always........

tomsym responded:
My now 20 year old son had a similar problem, he spoke but was very difficult to understand. Our saving grace for about a year was that his older brother always knew what he was saying. Our pediatrician refered us to a speech pathologist who recommended Early On to get him involved in regular speech classes. It made a huge difference and within a few months he was annunciating much better and we could understand him much better. The speech teacher said she hadn't seen a child so motivated to learn in quite some time. We figured it was that he wanted to have people understand him rather than have his brother translate. Three years of regualr speech class and he "graduated" with honors!

Pattigirls responded:
I had this same thing happen with my son. I talked to a speech pathologist and she told me to start getting down to his level when talking to him. When she says something that you understand but it is difficult have her look at your mouth so she can see how you form the words then have her repeat it. I think this actually helped quite a bit but he'd have gotten it anyway Im sure.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been happily married for almost 4 years now. I have a son who just turned 3 in August. We are currently expecting our second son who is due on ...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.