Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
tonsil and adnenoid removal at 3 years old for OSA
island_baby posted:
My 3 year old is going to have both adenoids and tonsils removed and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I am a little nevous and starting to think that maybe we should wait to see if he grows into the tonsils. I was told he had very large tonsils one day at the pedi's office when is was 2. The pedi asked me if he snores and I said that I really never listen because he sleeps all night in his own bed and he never wakes up in the middle of the night. he does breathed through his nose though. He seems okay to me, but they recommended we do a sleep study...so we did. the sleep study was a nightmare. They put all these electrodes on him and a nose piece. I thought there was no way they could get a good reading. However they said they did. They called back in a few days with 6 hours of recorded sleep with a diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea. I had to see an ENT and he he said that my son is not getting quality sleep at night even though he is sleeping the whole 10-11 hours. He long time but not much of the hours he sleeps is good. SO the tonsils are blocking his airway at night.
He is otherwise very healthy. Never gets strep, fever, ear infections, etc. He has never had diarhea or has thrown up ever in his life. Being that the tonsils serve has a filter to fight off germs for the body, will my son start to catch all kinds of bugs if he gets them removed. I read in an article that tonsils are usually larger ages 3-5 and that they do their immune function at this age as well.

Should I wait until he grows a little older. The doctors said that it is not life threatening but they recommend it and that it does affect his quality of sleep.

any advice on what to do whould be great.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I would get them removed. Sleep is often underrated but is it very important. With obstructive sleep apnea, your son's brain is waking him up enough to get him breathing again but not enough to make him aware. As a result, he doesn't really get a good night's sleep even though he's asleep for 10-11 hours. Not getting a good night's sleep can affect a lot of things.
Pround mommy to PJ (5) and Kylee (3).

island_baby replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thank you for the reply. That is good information and a very good point.

QTpie2009 responded:
I would have them removed. He is so young that he will heal very quickly. My DS had his out last summer when he was 3 years old. I was so worried for him regarding pain after the surgery. He totally surprised me. He was a little cranky and clingy but that's about it. After the 2nd day he was running around playing like it never happened! His were big and always caused him to choke on his food to the point he would throw up. So glad we got them out.

island_baby replied to QTpie2009's response:
THank you. You know, i am surprised my DS has not choked yet. His are so big too. Now that your DS tonsils are out, does he seem more rested and does he get more illnesses more so than before the tonsil removal. The reason I am asking is becuase the tonsils/adenoids are suppose to be a filter for the body's immune system and I worry that taking both tonsils/adenoids out will alter this immune process. My DS his rarely sick, so I worry he will catch things more after the removal.

QTpie2009 replied to island_baby's response:
No, the sickness is about the same. My DS doesn't get sick often either... well except for colds every now and then but he was like that before. As far as rested... they told me he would be more rested, but I don't think it's made a difference. However, he is scared to sleep in his room so he doesn't sleep well.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tanya, I'm 26 yrs old and my husband is 28, we've been married for 6 years together a total of 9 years. We live outside Jackson MS!...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.