Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My 4 year old will NOT eat
Mariamksi posted:
Please help!! My 4 year old refuses to eat any solids She will only have juice and water and yogurt If she feels like it. She thinks I she has to eat any Solids she's going to choke. I don't know what to Do.

Sabismom responded:
Hi my daughter is 4 and she too is going through this problem it has been 2 months since she has eaten. The only thing I can get her to drink is pediasure for kids. Have you found another information out? My daughter claims she has hair in her throat

sebamum responded:
Hi, Have you taken her to a doctor?
My little girl had eating problems that started at about 7mo and by the time she was 3 she was not eating at all for days on end, not even choc, or anything. I thought medical advice and had nothing useful but when I went on holiday abroad I took her to an emergency room with an UTI and after they did the bloods I was told I was irresponsible for letting her get in that state of malnutrition (according to my HV she was happy and healthy). After that I made sure she was checked by gp and as they found no medical explanation I went on a strict regim of feeding. She was not allowed to leave the table unless she had at least a small amount of food (baby portion) and after many weeks speny mosly at the table she gave in. She now has a very good diet but still strugles with some textures and has diffculties swallowing meat, she quite often has to drink it down with watter as you would do a pill. I can only say that the bennefits have been huge.
I think you should get her checked by a doctor and focus all your attention on getting her to eat, whatever it takes. She might not starve herself to death but I can tell you for sure she can seriously damage herself by not eating.
As tip - offer her a variety of say 4 things. Let her choose 2 but she has to eat those. Once that is established build on it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Heather. I have 2 very active boys, Aidan=4 and Tyler=3. I have been on webmd since TTC Aidan. I've been married to Terry since '0...More

Helpful Tips

potty training
Can some give me tip on how to get a 3 year old to poop on a potty chair? My and wife have been trying for several months, he took to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 10 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.