Skip to content
Screaming Toddler
brighterfuture1 posted:
My son is 2.5 years old. He is healthy and smart in general. He is very adorable at home and also affectionate with people that he is familiar or feel comfortable with. But the only thing is that he always screams at strangers (adults and children) in public places, such as in a department store, restaurant, library, etc. We have tried many different methods but failed to control him. It is getting to the point that we are reluctant to bring him out in order to avoid the embarrassing situation. Added to our concern is that his pediatric has suggested to send him for an evaluation due to the delay in social skill development. Now we start getting worried about the possibility of Autism. Has anyone had similar experience with their toddler? And please share if anyone has advice to deal with the situation. Thank you.

jenygemini responded:
I dealing with similiar concerns, my son is also 2.5 and very affectionate at home and has his good days/bad days when in public. At times he may scream loudly and laugh about it after. He has also started banging his head a lot on purpose at home and in public. He is extremely smart with numbers, letters, and singing songs but his conversation skills are not up to par. Though he knows many words he will not ask me for anything or tell me he is hungry, tired, etc. I have also considered autism or that he may have some sort of mental disorder, it crushes me to feel this way but the best thing as mothers we can do is talk to our ped dr and have them evaluated. I plan on doing this very soon before I placed him in day care to assure day care is the right fit. Good luck with your son, hope things get better.

ekacie responded:
My daughter is turning three and had tantrums and angry outburst frequently. We had a screening and found she was delayed in speech and it hinders so much more than you realize. She's doing speech therapy and I already see an improvement!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been happily married for almost 4 years now. I have a son who just turned 3 in August. We are currently expecting our second son who is due on ...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.