Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Poll: Big Kid Jobs
mrswhitecastle posted:
I thought it would be fun to do a poll. If any answer is No, please answer at what age you will have DC do the task.

1. Do you let DC answer the phone?

2. Does DC make his/her own bed?

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes?

4. Does DC help you clean?

5. Does DC help you do laundry?

6. Does DC help you cook?

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have?
Emily (5)  Elizabeth (3)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mrswhitecastle responded:
1. I check the caller ID first, and then let her answer if it is a family member. I do think over the next couple of months I'm going to teach her to answer it at any time.

2. Yes. She's actually really good at it now.

3. Uusally. I will pick them out if we are going somewhere special.

4. Yes. She cleans her room and dusts it. I've tried to let her vacuum, but it's too heavy for her yet.

5. Sometimes. I need to make her help more. She can fold washcloths and socks, or help load the washer/dryer.

6. No. I'm afraid she will get burned or cut. It will be several years before I let her really help me. I do have her set the table and fill cups with water.

7. I let her get the mail. I stand at the door and watch her the whole time. She's always so proud of herself.
Emily (5) Elizabeth (3)

ryanandleigh responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? If it is DH he can answer it. We have caller ID that shows up on the TV so he knows if he can answer it.

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? we are lax about making our own bed so no he doesn't make his. I will probably start getting him to do it this fall.

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? Yes, he dresses himself. He is very picky on the clothes he wears so he usually chooses what to buy too.

4. Does DC help you clean? Yes. Sometimes he volunteers to help and sometimes I ask him to help. He likes to vacuuum and wipe down the bathroom.

5. Does DC help you do laundry? He will put it away but doesn't really help with actually doing it. He will help sort the laundry sometimes.

6. Does DC help you cook? Oh yes. He started when he was 2 and DD just started helping recently. They love to stir things or add the ingredients. I just let DS help cook a strifry about a week ago. That was with me constantly reminding him to be careful that the pan washot. He of course doesn't get to cut things with a knife but I have always let him do lots of things in the kitchen.

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? We really don't have a set list of responsibilites for him. He will help feed the animals if he is around when I am doing it. (We have a dog and three cats.) He loves to help with whatever you are doing.

Silver623 responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? we do not have a house phone, but if it's family on my cell then I will let him.

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? No (he is only 3.5 so I probably shouldn't be answering these questions).

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? Usually

4. Does DC help you clean? he tries to help

5. Does DC help you do laundry? always

6. Does DC help you cook? sometimes

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? not much really, he puts his dirty clothes in the hamper, helps me water the flowers, picks up his toys before bed time. Puts his dirty dishes in the sink.

sarahdear responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? Nope, not allowed to touch the phone.

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? We haven't started this yet (we don't really make beds, we need to start I guess) But he can & sometimes does when he's playing

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? Yes

4. Does DC help you clean? Yes, when we want him to/let him

5. Does DC help you do laundry? He puts his clothes in the hamper to be washed & puts away the folded clothes.

6. Does DC help you cook? He likes to help make pancakes with Daddy & cookies/brownies/cake with anyone who will let him help

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? He's expected to get his shoes/coat (when needed) on, he puts on his seatbelt in his carseat, he puts the dog in the kennel when we leave the house & let her out & in of the house when she needs to go to the bathroom
Sarah 30, DH 36, George 4, Danielle 2

pcm110631 responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? No

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? Not on a regular basis. If she is in there when I'm doing it she will help me.

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? Yes, unless we are going somewhere special then I usually "help" her.

4. Does DC help you clean? She will help with some things.

5. Does DC help you do laundry? She will sometimes help put load them, fold, and put away.

6. Does DC help you cook? Yes, she has always loved to stir and pour ingredients in although she is starting to get bored with that and wants to actually cook things on the stove and help me chop things. I did let her help me with a stir fry on the stove but I was way too nervous about it and won't do it again for awhile.

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? She does help set the table and clear the table pretty regularly every night. I probably should start having her help us with more things around the house. Unfortunately I am usually in a hurry and just want to get the housework done.

RJMmama replied to pcm110631's response:
1)Do you let DC answer the phone? No, we don't have a house phone.

2) Does DC make his/her own bed? No.

3) Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? Uh, no, and we help him put his clothes on.

4) Does DC help you clean? He likes to use the swiffer and to help clean the outside of the refrigerator. We don't do it that often since a housecelaner comes once a week.

5) Does DC help you do laundry? Not regularly. Sometimes he puts the wet clothes into the dryer.

6) Does DC help you cook? Yes. He'll help decide what we should make. He'll help spin the salad or make the bread. He has been great at berry-picking this year.

7) What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? He helps water the plants.

katieb426 responded:
I'll answer for both my boys. Owen is 5 1/2 and Connor will be 4 next week. Good poll!

1. Do you let DC answer the phone? C- no, not yet. O- rarely. Mostly big sis does it right now.

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? No, neither do. They have bunk beds and they are a pain to make. I just don't really care if beds are made or not. Sometimes O will do it just for the fun of it.

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? In the summer, yes. The boys pick out undies and shorts and then I pull a t-shirt out of the closet to match. I get to pick out the clothes during the school year for all the kids.

4. Does DC help you clean? C's summer job is wiping down the dining room table and chairs. O's is vacuuming and he's pretty darn good at it! They both have to help keep the house picked up, take out recycling, etc.

5. Does DC help you do laundry? Both boys have to put their own clean clothes away. They also have to sort their dirty clothes in the laundry basket. And often they carry the baskets to the laundry room for me.

6. Does DC help you cook? Not too much. The kitchen is pretty much off limits to everyone but me.

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? Can't think of anything else. They pretty much will try to do whatever we ask. Our policy is that everyone has to pitch in to keep the house running smoothly.
Katie, Randy, Ella (6), Owen (5), Connor (3), Lilly (21 months)

peachteach1 responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? - no usually DD is running for the phone.

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? No his is too tall

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? Yes

4. Does DC help you clean? Sometimes

5. Does DC help you do laundry? yes, he helps put it in the dryer and he puts the clothes back in his dresser

6. Does DC help you cook? he LOVES this. If some one is cooking he comes running and yelling "Can I be the sous chef?"

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? He feeds the cats and helps pick tomatoes - he thinks he is the farmer when he does this.

j9ween2 responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? no

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? no

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? yes

4. Does DC help you clean? no

5. Does DC help you do laundry? yes, he folds & puts away all his clothes

6. Does DC help you cook? no

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? collects all the upstairs garbage on Tues nights & feeds the dogs every night

Kimmy1545 responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? No

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? with help... both DC's are responsible for stripping their beds on Sunday and helping to put the new sheets on. DS can almost do it by himself.

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? sometimes

4. Does DC help you clean? on occasion. my 3 year old does but that is because she likes to.

5. Does DC help you do laundry? no... other than putting wash into the washer if I ask him to.

6. Does DC help you cook? again, not DS's thing but DD loves to!

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? DS is responsible for setting the table at dinner. He also helps with trash on trash and recycling night.

baby1at35 responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? Not yet . However when I was trying to ignore a call Henry answered..UGH! I think soon around 6 yrs old

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? Yes. Henry actually made his without me telling him this morning!

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? They really have no interest yet in what they wear. I don't mind when they do pick out something

4. Does DC help you clean? Sort of. They at times help me put the dishes away, they do put their plates in the sink when they are done eating. Also help put laundry away at times. They do pick up their toys and help dust as well

5. Does DC help you do laundry?They sometimes help put stuff in the wash. They do help put away

6. Does DC help you cook? Every now and then they do help cook.

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? Well mostly make the beds, pick up toys, dishes in the sink. That is all for now.

msoy1 responded:
. Do you let DC answer the phone? We have caller id, so yes; when it is someone we know, and when it is a telemarketer, now that is usually comical!!

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? He helps me make both his bed and dh & mine.

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? YES!!! He drives me crazy with that one.

4. Does DC help you clean? Yes, he loves to use the swiffer duster; and he has a little sweeper as well

5. Does DC help you do laundry? He puts clothes in the washer and dryer, and helps me put the clothes away.

6. Does DC help you cook? Only to make cookies and cupcakes.

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? He puts most toys away; he brings his dishes and cups to the sink. Helps feed the dog; he really loves helping his daddy with the vegetable garden; washing the car. He really just loves to help us; most of the time. Oh, and he loves to shovel snow. Wonder how long this will last!! lol!

dwaw02 responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? Yes, he learned while I was on bedrest.

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? No, none of us do

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? Yes, unless we're going somewhere that he has to look nice which hardly ever happens!

4. Does DC help you clean? Yes, he usually vacuums and will also help dust

5. Does DC help you do laundry? Yes, and could probably do it by himself now, although we've never tried it yet.

6. Does DC help you cook? sometimes

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? He feeds the animals and has to clean up his stuff downstairs every night. He takes a shower by himself. He helps me with stuff since I was on bedrest.
Angela, DS (5), EDD 7/25/10 Pink Team Bedrest as of 3-23-10

4Watermonkeys responded:
1. Do you let DC answer the phone? Normally no. However, if we know it's a telemarketer, then yes!

2. Does DC make his/her own bed? Yes.

3. Does DC pick out his/her own clothes? Yes. The girls have a very eccentric style when it comes to clothes that even in my wildest dreams I couldn't select for them!

4. Does DC help you clean? Yes. They love to clean - scrubbing floors is their favorite . . . and I won't fight them for that chore!

5. Does DC help you do laundry? Yes.

6. Does DC help you cook? We have a small kitchen, so I'm especially concerned about safety - too easy to bump into each other. So, they help with menu planning, shopping for groceries, and prepping the food at the table - then DH and I take care of the cooking/baking part.

7. What other "big kid" responsibilities does DC have? My girls love to help out with gardening. They've planted the oddest things that aren't even supposed to grow in this zone (loquat, paw paw, strawberry, olive trees), yet do it with ease.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Getting married in 3 weeks to my hunny who ive been with for 6 years. We have a soon to be 5 year old son together, and we are expecting baby number 2...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.