Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sight words
peachteach1 posted:
Target has packs of sight word flash cards for a dollar right now in the dollar spot at the front of the store. I bought two packs thinking they were one sided and we could play memory, but they were not.

I did quizz him on them and he named 24 of the words without any hesitation or guessing.

mommyof3kiddos responded:
We went to Target last night and I found the flashcards you were talking about. I didn't go there just for them but thought I would grab them while I was there. I also bought three other packs of flash cards as well. My 3yr old is still having trouble with a few colors so I thought they would be really helpful.

Thanks for the tip!

iocasta responded:
Levi has absolutely no interest in trying to read or write. He likes to listen to stories and look at books but not into taking that next leap. It will come. Though he does simple addition and subtraction in his head. He is clearly leaning towards math and science.

Silver623 replied to iocasta's response:
Riley is the exact same way. He loves for me to read to him and often can tell the story by memory and looking at the pics, but he doesn't even try to read the words. He can also do simple math in his head and is very intrigued with how things work.

I was so happy when the other night he realized that drawing a circle with a line coming off from it sorta looks like a flower so now he draws lots of flowers and can draw triangles instead of just scribbles. Still does lots of scribbles too!

peachyisthelife replied to iocasta's response:
Jared's like this, too. Still isn't into reading but is SO into how things work. He asks so many questions and wants a good detailed answer about everything. He doesn't play with toys like other kids do. He's constantly manipulating toys and taking things apart in order to create some contraption. We've worked on sight words a little bit and he's gotten a few, but it's just not what he's into right now. It's worth getting those flashcards, though, thanks!
Cathryn~~~Jared 4yo~Brooke 23 mo old~Baby 3 due July 23, 2010

baby1at35 replied to peachyisthelife's response:
I got some of those last year. Henry has a strong interest in words and trying to sound them out. Tre really isn't there yet. He likes to have books read to him and then repeat what was read.
Me (40) 2 busy boys 5yrs and 4 yrs! 10 mos apart Oh My !

peachyisthelife responded:
I just went to Target and saw all the flash cards but I didn't see anything about sight words....what was it called?
Cathryn~~~Jared 4yo~Brooke 23 mo old~Leah born July 2010

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Roxanne, mother to Jonathan who's 4 and Chloe and Thomas who just turned 1 year old. I've been married for 8 years now and love my hus...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.