Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Will she get sick?
An_222365 posted:
I was recently at a book store and was looking through books. My 4 year old dd was looking for a book in another shelf. Someone had left their iced coffee cup with the straw in that shelf. My dd might have taken a sip out of that cup without my notice. When I ask her she says no ..then but I am not sure. I am worried sick.

neeru_pdx responded:
What are you worried about? Caffeine? Germs? Kids do so much worse stuff. I don't think it's any big deal really. Obviously you'd rather avoid it, but I', sure she's done worse. Oh, and explain to her why we don't pick up random food/drinks to consume!

momtotan replied to neeru_pdx's response:
Thanks neeru....I am worried about germs....that she might catch anything....and I excessively worry over such stuff. And I also feel guilty that I should have been keeping an eye on her. I have told her before that she should not drink fome someone else's cup but what is the best way to explain this to a child.

phoenix31674 responded:
Highly unlikely. Kids pick things up off the floor and put them in their mouths, touch all kinds of stuff and lick their fingers and sometimes probably even eat without washing up. It's good for them and keeps their immune system robust. Heck, when DD was a baby, she would like the cat. I find it yucky, but I've not obsessed over germs and she has no allergies - despite them running on DH's side of the family - and has had 2 colds and 2 other random fevers that lasted a couple of days. None of this required a trip to the doctor's office.

Just tell her not to eat other people's food or drink. Should work at her age. DD at almost 4 understands that. I also tell her it's dirty which helps her leave it alone.
Me (36), DH (35), DD (3), DS (10/4/10) and a cat

neeru_pdx replied to momtotan's response:
I agree with PP. Just keep explaining to her, preferably in non-stressful situations (not when you are upset or nervous, but just when you are relaxed and having something to eat or drink with her.) We have to explain about not sharing toothbrushes etc. At 4 years old they get it. They might not always listen or agree, but they get it! So just repeat calmly, be firm if you have to, but mostly be consistent. My 4 year old tells my 2 year old that he can't have her stuff because she has germs :) (whenever she doesn't want to share! )
Good luck.

momtotan replied to neeru_pdx's response:
Thanks all. I have been just paranoid abt these things right from when she was like 2 when she had taken a cup or a bottle ( dont rememeber now ) out of a small waste basket at the library and put to her mouth. So I constantly assess the potential dangers everywhere I go even now and dont enjoy the moment with my daughter who is now 4. She has been going to preschool 2 times a week for half days for abt 9 mnths now. So I am sure they teach these stuff in school too right? I am an OCD mom I guess with germophobia!

phoenix31674 replied to momtotan's response:
You would freak out with my daughter who will grab a grape of the grocery store floor and stuff it in her mouth before I can stop her. hasn't killed her yet and she's never got sick from it, but not something I want her to do. I did finally get her to finally the leave the ice around the produce alone. She used to grab that and eat it.
Me (36), DH (35), DD (3), DS (10/4/10) and a cat

Mainemommy replied to phoenix31674's response:
Don't feel bad I suffer from anxiety. Ds licked the meat case at Shaw's if that didn't get him sick.....
Steph 37 DH 42 DD 9 Asthma eczema and allergies DS 5 Eczema and milk allergy

momtotan replied to Mainemommy's response:
Its when she takes something off the floor or when shes around a trash can or something I get a cardiac arrest almost! i try to be as careful but sometimes it happens..

VicsEandJ replied to momtotan's response:
You could nto live with my DD. She will pick up anything and put it in her mouth. She's only 2, but it would make you sick if you saw her! But compared to DS, who never went through a pshase where every yucky thing had to go into his mouth, but who caught every virus that went around dyacre, DD has nto be sick that much (knock on wood- now i've jinxed the poor girl!!)

We try to stop her and DH is always prying stuff out of her mouth- because she just doesn't want to taste nasty stuff- she wants to chew and swallow everything- we have seen pieces of crayons from a restraurant we had been to for dinner in her poop!!

It's hard not to freak out because I worry that she is going to choke on something. Oddly, I don't worry about the germs as much. I figure they've got medication for most things- I have much more anxiety about her choking to death.

Hang in there- having children is not the path to a stress free life!

VicsEandJ replied to VicsEandJ's response:
and DD is like Houdini , but sneakier- you can be looking right at her and she will have something clenched in her teeth before you can stop her!

An_222366 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
I understand what u r saying. I too had worries of what she would pick off the floor or sidewalk or road or whatever she sees to put in her mouth. Now that shes 4 I can explain to her why she shouldnt do certain things and hopefully she will understand.

crunk05177 responded:
I would probably be a little worried about germs. However, what's done is done. A little germs are good for ya!
Me (27), DH (29), DS1 (4) and DS2 (1 - severe peanut allergy and possibly an egg allergy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Currently in Rhode Island, DH is active duty military. We've been here a bit over a year, it's our 5th duty station since we were married 11 y...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.