Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
strep throat
An_222383 posted:
My daughter has had strep throat 5 times sense the end of jan. Should i consider having her tonsils out? I have had drs tell me that this year strep is very bad and i have not had problems in the past she just turned six in april?

coltonsmommy responded:
Oh boy! Can I relate! My DS has had strep 4 times since February, so 4 times in 3 months. We had an appointment with his doctor last Monday to discuss the next step. He, like your daughter's doctors, also said that strep has been really bad this year. In the end, we decided not to take DS's tonsils out yet. We're going to wait and see what happens in the future. One thing the doc pointed out was that strep is in your throat, not your tonsils, so there's no guarantee that the child won't get strep once you remove their tonsils. He told us that ENT's are pretty hesitant to remove tonsils ONLY because of strep. Now, if they're having problems with sleep apnea or snoring, they're more likely to remove them.

Hope that helps!!

staticjess responded:
I too can relate. We went through a similar situation with my DS when he was 2. We did end up doing the tonsils, but he also kept getting other illnesses, as well. But I want to say that EVERY year, doctors say strep is really bad this year. So I don't know if you can go by this statement.

Also, there are a couple of other things to look into for the strep.
1- have her checked to see if she is a carrier. The doc may be reluctant to do this, but insist. It is very simple. A carrier, means she harbors strep all the time, sick or not, and keeps reinfecting herself. It isn't too common, but does happen. To test for this, all they do is do a strep test when she is off antibiotics, and healthy. But they have to do a culture, not just a rapid test.
2- Do you have a dog? Dogs are common carriers of strep and infect people more often than we realize. The dog may seem perfect, but can get your DD sick. Talk to your vet. It is hard to do a step test on a dog, so most vets will just treat the dog based on the history in your house. This DOES happen a lot. It happed to my sister and niece, and to my vet as well, her dog kept getting her sick. We also ended up treating my dog, just in case.

Sorry this got long, but I highly recommend going to an ENT if she gets sick again. They are more familliar with this than a regular doc.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley. I am happily married, with 2 boys 4 years and 18 months. I am a stay at home mother, and love it! .

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.