Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tonsillitis
jffa7677 posted:
My DS will soon be 6 and in the last 4 months he has had tonsillitis 2 times. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this and how long did the Dr. let it go before considering getting them removed. I saw on the internet that rule of thumb is 5 - 6 times in 1 year but that seems like a lot to me. Here is the funny part both times he has been said to have it, he tests negative for strep. At one point they even tested him for Mono, that was negative also. Any thoughts or words of advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day.

coltonsmommy responded:
Ok, here's my experience with this... Since February of this year, my DS has had strep throat 5 times!!! The only symptom he ever has are high fever (102*) and he gets a little whiny and clingy. As soon as I notice that he's got a fever, I rush him to the doc to get tested. DS started a new preschool/daycare last fall so I think that's part of it, his immunity isn't built up. Every time someone in school got it, DS did too. I think they were passing it back and forth. We even tested him when he didn't have strep to make sure he isn't a carrier. I've talked extensively with his doc about this and he's said that they usually don't take tonsils out unless they're impairing sleep (snoring or sleep apnea). He has also said that even if you take tonsils out, you can still get strep, because strep is in the throat not the tonsils.

ANother thing his doc said was to make sure you're throwing toothbrushes/toothpaste away when he is sick, wash all bedding, cups, etc.

Hope this helps!!

peachteach1 replied to coltonsmommy's response:
Sam had his toncils out and he still gets strep...had it last week as a matter of fact. All in all, he is still healthier for getting them out.

baby1at35 responded:
Oh man we have had this too ! Henry is 6 as well and from Feb-May he had it 5 times. We tested negative for strep as well. I asked his doctor in May at his 6 yr check. She really didn't put a "how many times on it". She said if he keeps getting the fever and missing school than we will have to go from there.
It was so frustrating but now he is doing okay ..I guess until we start school again and fingers crossed we won't get it.
He never got this until he started school and it was rough. I had it all the time as a kid and got my tonsils/adnoids out in 4th grade.
Me (41) 2 busy boys 5yrs and 5 yrs for 2 months! 10 mos apart Oh My !

Mainemommy replied to baby1at35's response:
Sandra don't feel bad jess didn't go to day care and was sick alot her 1st year some was asthma some was our well had coliform but the longer she's been in school the better it got.
Steph 37 DH 42 DD 9 Asthma eczema and allergies DS 5 Eczema and milk allergy Backwards in High Heels

jffa7677 responded:
Thanks. I am waiting to see what the Dr thinks because both times he went in to be seen where they finally decided to treat him for the tonsillitis, he saw the nurse. My only concern is that he snores as well. He had surgery last summer before starting school, I would hate to do it to him again this year. But I would rather they do it if he needs it because you can tell he is in pain when he has it. And don't even get me started on what the inside of his mouth looks like. Thanks again.

sarahdear replied to jffa7677's response:
We have a tonsilectomy scheduled for July 19 for DD. Her tonsils are pretty much always large, and have recently gotten worse

Her ENT has said it really has little to do with the size of the tonsils but the side effects. The things he asked us about/had us watch were constant snoring, sleep apnea, behavior problems, bed wetting, hyperness, all related to poor sleep.

DD snores even at nap time, even sitting straight up, and has started to have bad days at school after nights of particularly bad snoring (we can hear her downstairs even though her door is closed). DS has most of the problems except the constant snoring and his tonsils are about average sized, so he told us to watch him sleeping to see about the snoring/sleep apnea, he said especially try to see him during deep sleeps around 3-5am.
Sarah 31, DH 37, George 5, Danielle 3

VicsEandJ replied to sarahdear's response:
My neice snored all the time when she was younger and had strep numerous timess in elementary school. She didn't get her tonsils out until she was 12, but she's almost 18 now and she has had none of the snoring or strep problems since it was done.

I had the same problems as a child but never got mine out. I don't snore ( except when I'm sick) but I still get strep way more often than the average person over 40. My tonsils are huge.

Spotlight: Member Stories

KC~ lucky mom to DD1 (9), DS (7) and DD2 (4)

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.