Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kids Television
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
My DD is home from camp today - they went on a field trip to Knots Berry Farm - no way was I going to let my 6 year old on that trip. The other moms looked at me like I was crazy. Anyway, that is another discussion!

So, she is watching TV till I finish up and I have some feelings about kids shows - how about you?

Sesame Street - still good but I find Elmo's voice tough to take for too long.

Caillou/Max & Ruby - annoying kids - wouldn't want them over for a playdate.

WordWorld/Cat in the Hat - cute! I'll actually sit and watch for a bit.

Wow Wow Wubsey - Don't know why, but I think it's cute!

Fresh Beat Band - blurg

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Baby1at35 responded:
:)

The boys have been watching word world /cat in the hat and curious george. I really do not mind those.
Honestly Max and Ruby drives me bonkers. Where is Max's parents? Haha! Caillou is annoying and whiny...:(

They really don't want to watch Sesame Street too much anymore but a bit. They never really got into Elmo.
Me (41) 2 busy boys 5yrs and 5 yrs for 2 months! 10 mos apart Oh My !

VicsEandJ responded:
How can anyoen stand the Fresh BEat Band??

DS watched an epsiode at my sister's and I'm only alive today because I coudln't decide if I needed to gouge my eyes or ears out first.
I told him it didn't come on tv here and I try to distract him if a cmmerical for it comes on while he's wathcing one of his shows.

My kids watch Dora, Diego, mickey mouse, Cat in the Hat, Thomas, Handy Manny, Sesame Street, Magic School bus, curious george, and a few other things. Its a rotation depending on what they like. Plus they watch Cars once a week and acouple other dvds. Their current favorite is Peter cottontail- the one where peter jr. almost messes up so APril never comes!

During the week they watch while I make dinner and on laundry nights when DH & i are foldign and putting it away.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to VicsEandJ's response:
Side note: How do you get DH to help fold and put away??? :)

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
We are getting away from the Dora/Diego TV. Thank goodness!

Except for Jake and the Neverland Pirates, they usually only watch channel 9 now. Their favorite, by far, is Jake, but they also really like Word Girl and Wild Kratts. Emily likes Electric Company, but Elizabeth doesn't.

I've been happy with the shows on channel 9, and how they are trying to teach something, usually vocabulary and letters. Makes me feel a bit better about letting them watch TV.
Emily (6) Elizabeth (4)

sarah0323 replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
I have to ask...but what is Channel 9?

Vics....Can I send my SO over so he can see you DH folding and putting away laundry? Mine won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Wash yes but won't fold or put away. Drives me crazy.

I hate to say this but I'm not home with them during the day and we are too busy at night and on the weekends to watch TV. Daddy is home with them so honestly he probably turns it to SPEED or the Outdoor channel. I don't have any idea what they have been watching lately.

Caillou/Max & Ruby have been baned at my house. I saw them once and I told them never again. Cailou was a brat the one time I saw it.
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 7, DS2 5, DS3 4, DD2 3 months

jnamom81 responded:
Has anyone seen the Upside Down Show? My girls are 1 and 4 and they love it. Its weird... but they get the kids involved and its funny. Its on later at night but I DVR it and then they can watch it whenever. They also like Dora, Max&Ruby, Franklin, Olivia, Blue's Clue's!

MrsWhiteCastle replied to sarah0323's response:
Sorry! Channel 9 is PBS in our area. I'm so used to calling it Channel 9 with the girls, I wasn't thinking about what it would be in other areas.
Emily (6) Elizabeth (4)

ryanandleigh responded:
We have never watched PBS - just Disney and Nick Jr.

The kids like Max and Ruby (I don't find them that annoying), Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Phineas and Ferb, Mickey Mouse, and Wow Wow Wubbzy pretty regularly. They sometimes will still watch Blues Clues or Dora/Diego but are growing out of it. They also will watch Clone Wars, Batman and Scooby Doo from the Cartoon Network - we never actually see them on that channel but get them On Demand.
Leigh, Jacen (6), Alexa (3)

seeit2 responded:
We watch only PBS or shows off of the Wii using Netflix. DD went through a serious Caillou phase a while back but now its Diego, Word World and Superwhy (thank goodness). Cat in the Hat is OK but cat's voice annoys the heck out of me - is that Martin Short?

Never heard of the rest of them.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (40) DD (4) DS (1) Just eat it, will ya

cinder44 responded:
PBS is channel 9 here too,

My kids watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Phineas and Ferb, Mickey Mouse, Clifford, Arthur. They usually watch in the morning, while we're cooking dinner & in the mornings on the weekend.

I can get DH to help out around the house & most important take the kids out so I can get some things done without 'help'.
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

VicsEandJ replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
DH helps with everything. While he would do nothing if left to his own initiative, he will help with whatever I ask him.

Turns out MIL's 'helpless when it suits her' act makes my life easier-he's just used to it! :-)

And he's a great guy.

VicsEandJ replied to sarah0323's response:
See my repoly to Haylen.

One of DH's jobs is to watch tv with them while I cook dinner ( unless he's cooking- I make him do that once a week). He tries to get them to watch the stuff he likes, but it moslty gets vetoed.

But with DS, he can get him to watch the history channel, Bear grylls survivial nonsense and some animal planet stuff- and sports! The Y chromosome is hard to fight, even if it means giving up cartoons! Oh and DH also got DC into watching Spongebob because he likes it!

crunk05177 responded:
Nathan LOVES Yo Gabba Gabba and Jack's Big Music Show....he also enjoys Blues Clues and Handy Manny

Michael as he gets older is getting more into Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Handy Manny and is asking to watch more movies.....Oh yeah he likes Olivia and Fresh Beat Band but he will watch the Nick Jr shows too. At age 3 he was OBSESSED with Wonder Pets so I am glad that stage is over!!

Fresh Beat Band - these people are so weird LOL but the music is always stuck in my head....I find myself singing Go Bananas or Loco Legs in my head at work.

Max and Ruby- Can't stand it!! If I hear Ruby whine Max's name ONE more time!!! GRRRRR!!!!

And The upside down show - Where in the world did they find these crazies???? They def do lots and lots of drugs!
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

phoenix31674 responded:
I love Word World. It's so cute.

Max and Ruby are a bit annoying, but thanks to MIL DD loves them.

I agree with you on Sesame Street - though like all little kids she loves Elmo.

Her absolute favorite is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I like it for teaching colors, shapes, numbers and all sorts of other things.

Caillou is about the most annoying show I've seen a whole episode of, though Dora is up there because her voice is just so annoying.

Wonderpets - meh, I don't really have an opinion of it. DD's only seen it twice, so not something I have to really worry about.

Her other favorites are Timmy Time (wonderful preschool show by the Wallace and Gromit folks), Shaun the Sheep (same people, though it's not remotely educational) and Thomas and Friends. also My Friends Tigger and Pooh which is cute and mildly educational. I like Handy Manny, but it's not her thing so I don't try to hunt it down for her.

On the non-educational front, she loves the classic Mickey cartoons, especially the black and white ones and Wallace and Gromit.

Some shows we won't ever be watching such as Barney (
which thankfully is not on here), Teletubbies and Sponge Bob Squarepants. Probably Ni Hao as well - I'm not impressed and I've heard of kids picking up the monkey's bad behavior. Our pickings are slim, so I've recorded some of the favorites.
Me (37), DH (36), DD (4), DS (10/4/10) and a cat

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Heather (29) and have been married for about 6 1/2 years to my DH (32). We got married on our 8th anniversary. We have two beautiful boys. ...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.