Skip to content
Bed rail
crunk05177 posted:
Michael is 4 years 9 months. He has a twin size bed that is at a decent height. The bedrail broke the other day....yes they abuse it but really? I would think it should be able to handle quite a bit since it's supposed to keep them from falling off the bed. Anyway...I took it off and was going to get a new one. However, I think he may be ready not to have it. He has slept just fine the past two night without.

So my question is....how old exactly is your child and do they still use a bed rail?
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Baby1at35 responded:
I actually never used a bedrail on either child. I would throw pillows all over the floor and beside them. they never did fall out. There bed is right up to the wall on the one side.
I got one of those big body pillows early on and sat it beside them.
Me (41) 2 busy boys 5yrs and 5 yrs for 2 months! 10 mos apart Oh My !

Mainemommy replied to Baby1at35's response:
Luke needed one when he was under 3 but generally have not used one no big deal. He did fall out of my bed a time or 2 and he's mostly "ok"
Steph 37 DH 42 DD 9 Asthma eczema and allergies DS 5 Eczema and milk allergy

Backwards in High Heels

crunk05177 replied to Mainemommy's response:
I guess it is safe to say he is old enough to just not put one back up?
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Mainemommy replied to crunk05177's response:
Just see how it goes their'll be some crying but not permanent damage if he falls
Steph 37 DH 42 DD 9 Asthma eczema and allergies DS 5 Eczema and milk allergy

Backwards in High Heels

cinder44 responded:
never had one for either DC. They did have toddler beds for 2 years then when they turned 4 we went to twin beds w/ no rail. I would go for it. GL!!
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

phoenix31674 responded:
DD never really had a bed rail. Her crib converted to a toddler bed so it was only maybe a foot off the ground so I didn't bother. When she was not quite 3, she was too big for pack n plays so she started sleeping in the hotel beds with no problem. Granted those are full size, but she does okay. When we were at the in laws this summer she slept in a pretty high twin bed and I don't think she ever fell out. One side is against the wall, so she could only fall one way, but she was 4 years 3 months. Right now she's sleeping in the guest bed (which is queen size) when she doesn't make a nest on the floor. We elected against getting her a bed for now and are waiting until we move back to the States and can have a better selection.
Me (37), DH (36), DD (4), DS (10/4/10) and a cat

j9ween3 responded:
never used one. DS fell out of baby maybe 4 times, DD1 never has fallen out
Janine - Tyler -6, Bella -4, Giana -13 months born 8 weeks early

ryanandleigh responded:
Wow - surprised how many people didn't use one. DS has a Captain's bed and it is higher than a normal twin. We installed a bed rail when he first started using it. We tried to remove it when he was 4 and he complained so it came back. He is now 6 and still has it. I don't know if he really needs it. DD is 3 and has her bed rail for a year. I think she would be fine if we took it down. If he doesn't miss it, then I would say don't replace it.
Leigh, Jacen (6), Alexa (3)

KC_94920 responded:
I wouldn't put it back unless he asked me to.

DS never had a bed rail. At 2.5, he moved from the crib to a race car bed that had slightly raised sides but has been fine on the bottom bunk bed since turning 4 with no problems.

DD1 was over 3.5 when she left the crib and only used the bed rail that came with her twin bed for a month or so.

DD2 is 3.5 and still in her train toddler bed but has slept many a nights at her Nana's on the bottom bunk with no rail and has always been fine.
KC~ Mady (8.5) Logan (6) and Coco (3)

Stephensmom1214 replied to KC_94920's response:
DS used his for about 6 months, but his bed is a little higher up off the ground than most other beds (thanks, furniture delivery guys!). He fell out a few times, but mostly because he was screwing around, and hanging off upside down. But in the course of normal sleep, he has never fallen out.

I think he's fine.
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.