Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pre-school Frustration
tlkittycat1968 posted:
Hello! I'm just moving up from the 3 year old board.

DS turned 4 Saturday and is considered special ed with the school district. I filled out all the paperwork early and was told he was guaranteed enrollment. Well, I get a call this morning telling me that since it took so long to get the income waiver (we make too much money for the pre-school but since he's special ed, he qualifies) the school right behind us is full and he has to go someplace else and school is supposed to start Monday Sept. 12. We've already arranged transportation to/from school so going someplace else will be a major inconvenience. They gave me a list of schools where they have openings but they all are out of the way. Right now, the option is to have him go somewhere else temporarily until they have an opening at the school behind us. They say the special ed enrollment is very fluid and it's not uncommon for a child who is enrolled to not show up the first day of school. Major frustration.

sarah0323 responded:
Welcome!!

I understand. I have 2 that I have/had to deal with this. We are in a small school and we this doesn't happen often to us. But in larger school districts I know that it happens frequently.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

cinder44 responded:
Welcome!!

In my area we have our preK at our daycare centers. Maybe a daycare offers that close to you. Good luck!!
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

tlkittycat1968 replied to cinder44's response:
Well, DS is considered special needs and is considered special ed by the school district so there are limited places that will take him. There is a private pre-school close to us but they don't take special needs kids.

He's special needs in that he doesn't talk. He's in speech therapy and is making progress but he still communicates through gestures and sounds much of the time.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Yippee! Just got a call from DS' teacher and he's in at his original school, the one behind us. She agreed to take one more student and her supervisor approved it. She made my day.

It's been a frustrating 36 hours but all is now well.

mrswhitecastle replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
That's fantastic news! Congrats!
Emily (6) Elizabeth (4)

Stephensmom1214 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Oh, I totally feel you on all of this! My DS is also in Special Ed for a speech delay, and we had all sorts of enrollment issues this year, which is bizarre, since he's been getting preschool services for almost 2 years already. The school district first tried to enroll him in all-day pre-k, which was not in his IEP, and it took several days to get it straightened out. Fortunately, we got him in a class with a wonderful teacher (the same one he's had since he started), but it took an additional 4 days AFTER school started to get the bus service straightened out.
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.