Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Halloween and School
jffa7677 posted:
My DS is in 1st grade and I received a letter from the teacher about what they are going to be doing for Halloween this year. I guess she and all the other 1st grade teachers decided to do a theme for the day and the kids are suppose to come dressed as that theme. They picked out story book legends, ex: the 3 little pick, little miss muffet, and pointed out at the end of the letter that although spongebob is in books he is not a story book legend. So basically I have to buy 2 costumes for my kid. I am over reacting or is this just stupid. Halloween is suppose to be fun for the kids. Letting them pick out their costumes is one of the joys of being a kid. In my house we have been talking about it for a few weeks now. The teacher said we can do home made costumes but how many 6 years olds are going to understand why they can't wear their costume to school when their brothers or sisters can. Any thoughts would be great even if it means telling me that I am over reacting. Thought on costumes to would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in an advance.

iocasta responded:
Well what does he want to be? Story book legends is a very broad topic. Personally, I think it is a good idea. A way to incorporate Halloween into the learning curriculum. Children have to explore books to find their costumes. For instance, Levi is going to be a knight, books that could match this could be the Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame and The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. Head to the library and start searching for a legend and costume.

kc_94920 responded:
I wouldn't worry to much about it and think that exercises like this are good for kids and moms. My kids have never asked to have a licensed character costume so I'm betting all of their past costumes could fit into this theme. Just from your list of 2 stories you could do a pig, a wolf or a spider (my youngest was this last year). Oh and I bet he could find an interesting character in a book like Alice In Wonderland (Mad Hatter Twiddley Dee, Cheshire Cat , the King of Hearts), Peter Pan (Peter, a Lost Boy, Captain Hook, a crocodile) or The Wizard of Oz (the Tin man, Scarecrow, lion, a flying monkey).

One year DS was Max from Where the Wild Things are and he loved it. This year he's going as a Knight and that could work in several stories.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (6.5) and Coco (3.5)

sarah0323 responded:
This theme could have fit into many of my kids halloween costumes as well. I also wouldn't buy 2 costumes. Nobody says halloween has to have a licenced character as your costume.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

neeru_pdx responded:
agree kids should get to pick their costumes - their chance to be WHATEVER they want But buying two costumes is not fun. Can you borrow/make/adapt the costumes?

DidiToo responded:
I agree that kids should be able to choose what they want to be for Halloween, and parents shouldn't be placed in the position of needing to either buy or fashion two costumes. You could try to squeeze your child's preferred costume into this category creatively, but it may be hard to do. For example, I would make the argument that Pac Man is legendary, and many people who came of age in the 1980's would agree, but the teachers might not go for that.

I think you're left with having to negotiate a costume your child likes with something you can creatively spin. I'm with you. It's stupid.

seeit2 responded:
I agree that it seems awfully controlling of the school to try to dictate costume themes - however - I don't see any point in acknowledging Halloween in the classroom at all. I know, call me Scrooge, (and you will, that's fine) but really - is there any value other than keeping the kids hyped up for more time than just that one evening?

I used to work in a church-run school and they basically said celebrate Halloween any way you choose at home, and leave it out of school. Didn't spoil the holiday at all for any kid to stay out of costume for a few extra hours.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

mrswhitecastle replied to seeit2's response:
I'm with you, Deb.

Our public school doesn't allow any holidays in the classroom, so no costumes at all.
Emily (6) Elizabeth (4)

Stephensmom1214 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I'm with you guys. As far as I know, our school doesn't do Halloween, and I wouldn't send DS to school in a costume anyways. He gets SOO messy, I'd hate for something to happen to it!!!

When I was in elementary school, we were asked to dress up as a character from a book. I went as Pipi Longstocking. The braids were easy, and it wasn't hard to find something I already had to fit the bill clothing-wise.

To the OP, if you have those limits, maybe you can figure out something from a book so that you can use stuff you already have at home. Maybe he could be one of the 3 little pigs, and you can make him a pig nose out of a piece of egg carton with some elastic for around his head. Stick him in some jeans with a flannel shirt or something, and that would work.
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

sarah0323 replied to seeit2's response:
Our school doesn't allow Halloween either. They do a tailgate party instead. You can wear your favorite sports shirt or not.

I was actually releived when our school went this way. It made it so much easier on everyone.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.