Skip to content
Leaving Levi at home
iocasta posted:
In a couple of weeks, it will be the first time that neither one of us will be at home with Levi. DH will be in Hong Kong and I will be in lovely Des Moines. One of Levi's aunts will stay with him. I am pretty apprehensive about this. I realize that he is plenty big for both of us to be away but still I don't like it. I toyed with the idea of taking him to Des Moines with me but I don't think he would sit quiet enough during my oral arguments before the judge. I know I am being silly and that they will be fine but this will only be the third night that I have ever been away from him. After this, maybe I will have the courage to go on a short vacation with just DH. Maybe.

sarahdear responded:
Good luck!

Let me know how it goes, we will be in the same boat over New Years!

Leaving both of mine at our house with my Aunt while we go to San Diego for my best friend's wedding.
Sarah 31, DH 37, George 5, Danielle 3

cinder44 responded:
I know how you feel. We have only been away from the DC 2 nights of their lives. It will be ok. How long will you be gone? A few nights? I'm sure he'll love having his Aunt there.
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

j9ween3 responded:
we went to Atlantis 2 weeks ago without the kids. We did face time with them every evening. They were fine without & we got a much needed get away. You can do it
Janine - Tyler -6, Bella -4, Giana -19 months born 8 weeks early

baby1at35 replied to j9ween3's response:
I haven't been away from the boys either. Only time I have been away from Henry for a night is when I had Tre. Other than that I have never been away.
(((HUGS)) it will be okay.
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

phoenix31674 responded:
It can be tough. When DD was 15 months, I went on a trip to Germany and Italy with DH who was traveling for work. That made keeping in touch rather difficult, but it was a good time. DS has not been left alone for more than a few hours yet, but he's a very clingy to mommy baby (at just over 1) but he's getting better. Which is good. In February we'll be flying from Charlotte to San Diego to do some house hunting and taking the baby is not really an option.

I think it's good for kids and parents to have some time apart. I'm sure Levi will be fine.
Me (37), DH (36), DD (4), DS (10/4/10) and a cat

iocasta responded:
I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one that doesn't like to go away from their LO(s). It is only for one night and if my hearing was at 10 a.m. instead of 9 a.m., I could have flown in and out the same day. Oh well. I know he will be fine and my SIL will manage. Heck she'll do better than we did when we watched their daughters for the first time many years ago. They were 5 and 7 (now 24 and 26). We didn't plan on dinner until 8 p.m., which was their normal bedtime and then DH and I decided to start watching a 4 hour movie at 10 p.m.

steckie98 responded:
Good luck! I can't wait for the time when I am brave enough to leave both kids home with someone while I go away!
Carrie(33), DH (37), DS(4 on 6/13/11), DD(9/14/11)

VicsEandJ responded:
Good luck, Stpeh.
Other than when having Ella I haven't been away from the kids except for one night on my anniversary 1 1/2 years ago. I had great time with DH and it was good to get away, but I was obsessed with thinking aboutthem when I was away and couldn't WAIT to get back to them!

My sister watched them and I knew they were ok-they weren't even home when we rushed back to see them- but it was totally weird beign away from them.

My advice is to make sure you know your argument and facts cold before you leave and don't try to do any last minute prep, just in case you find the first time as tough as I did.

Also, I adore my DH but I haven't been able to bring myself to even think of planning a short vacation with DH without taking the kids. All of my tentavie future travel plans include them- I'm still shocked by the realization and I hope you handle it better than I do! I'm hoping that once they reach the teen years, I will get over this!

You may be a wreck, but Levi will be fine! Good luck with your case!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley. I am happily married, with 2 boys 4 years and 18 months. I am a stay at home mother, and love it! .

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.