Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Leaving Levi
iocasta posted:
I suppose to go to Des Moines last night for a hearing this morning. Well, my flight got canceled. I luckily learned of it before heading to the airport. I am doing my oral arguments over the phone so no trip to Des Moines. My SIL got to our house before I could get the news to her so we had a PJ party. She is taking Levi to school for me this morning so I could get into the office early and prepare for my arguments.

UKbluegirl2 responded:
I'm glad you didn't have to go. I hope it all works out well today from the office!

baby1at35 replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
That is good ! Hope you have a good day at work
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

crunk05177 responded:
Glad it all worked out for you!
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

VicsEandJ responded:
I know you're glad you didn't have to go.
Maybe you can get SIL to spend the night with Levi again soon and you and DH can check into a hotel in town to have a practice run on your mini vacation.

Hope you win your case!

iocasta replied to VicsEandJ's response:
Arguments are done. Just waiting on the court's ruling. I'm pretty sure I am going to lose on one motion and maybe prevail on another. We shall see.

I know I need to cut the umbilical cord but it is hard. SIL got a mini trial run by having to get him to school on the city bus in the rain. She is such a trooper.

VicsEandJ replied to iocasta's response:
Steph,

I cut the umbilical cord and reattached it!!! DH & I have date nights, but I don't plan to leave them for any overnights, if I can help it, for many years to come. The fun childhood years are so short- before you know they want you to go away!

It's great that you have SIL willing to step in so you don't have to be as crazy as me. If my sister lived closer, she would probably just keep them overnight, whether I wanted her to or not, so that I would be forced to be away from them- she doesn't really care too much about my anxiety!!

iocasta replied to VicsEandJ's response:
Date nights are no problem. I like being with the boy. I like waking up to his smiling (sometimes grumpy) face. I too am in no hurry to leave him. I guess it is because we worked so hard to get him. My hat is off to those that can make this leap.

kristinmarie722 replied to iocasta's response:
Until my ex and I seperated, my DS would only spend a few nights here and there away from us. A sleepover at my sister's or my mom's. It wasnt really that hard.

When my ex and I split, it was so hard being away from DS, days at a time. At the beginning we did shared parenting and he would stay at his dad's sometimes 4 nights in a row. It was hard for me. Now he only goes there every other weekend and maybe once during the week.

The mornings are always the hardest. It's so quiet.

It has gotten better with time, but as a mom, it's something you never really enjoy or get used to. Because I am a single mom, it's a nice break when he goes to his dad's and I get a ton of stuff done around the house and get some 'me' time, but it's hard being away from him. At the beginning, I would close his bedroom door because it was so hard.

It's so true, they are only young once. This is one of the worse things for me, being a single/seperated parent.
DS- 7/4/2005

kristinmarie722 replied to kristinmarie722's response:
Oh yeah and I guess I am grateful for the times that he did have sleepovers with family, because it got me a little prepared for when he went to his dad's.
DS- 7/4/2005

iocasta replied to kristinmarie722's response:
I didn't even think about your situation. That has to be unbelievably difficult. Sorry for being so insensitive.

kristinmarie722 replied to iocasta's response:
Oh no, no need to apologize

Your post just really got me thinking though about being away from my DS. It sucks, but it is what it is. Can't change it.

And I hear about some seperated couples who do a week on and a week off. I can not even imagine.

I think it's hard to leave the kiddos no matter what. That is what makes us good parents. We want our kids around
DS- 7/4/2005

UKbluegirl2 replied to iocasta's response:
I'll never cut the cord either. I'm pretty bad....

I do let Ava stay a week at my mom's in the summer. But that's it.

Kristin, I think that would probably be the hardest part about D. That's tough! I'm sorry you have to do it.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
When my parents started watching the kids twice a week, it was my mom's idea to have them stay the night on Tuesdays since I was just going to bring them back Wednesday morning. After DS started pre-school, again it was my mom's idea to have DS stay both Tuesday and Wednesday so he could get extra sleep instead of me waking him up at 6a to take him to my parents' so they could take him to school at 8:45a. Now, DS stays with grandma and grandpa Tuesday and Wednesday nights while DD comes home Tuesdays and I just drop her off Wednesday mornings.

DH and I loved being child free Tuesdays but still missed DS.

The longest DS has been away from us is 3 nights when I had DD.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Mom of two adorable munchkins. Crystal, 9-15-06, and Aiden, 5-12-10. My DH, Chad, is the light of my life, and helps try to keep me sane. :D...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.