Skip to content
urinary obstruction in 5 year old boy?
mkaster4 posted:
my 5 year old son has been having alot of accidents lately. I took him to the pediatrician today and he looked at his penis and said it looked like he had an obstruction and maybe 2 holes down there. We are waiting on an appointment to see a urologist. The doctor gave a name for the condition but i cant remember what he said. Does anyone know what may have caused this or what the urologist may do? any information would be much appreciated thanks.
Stephensmom1214 responded:
Before you get too upset about what your pediatrician found, please remember that he isn't an expert in urological issues - wait and see what the urologist says. That being said, the urologist will most likely order a VCUG and ultrasound. The VCUG will involve a catheter injecting fluid with a dye in it so they can watch where it all goes between the kidneys, ureters, and exiting the body. I'm sure he'll also check for a UTI and kidney infections. I don't know that either issue your pedi mentioned would make a 5 year old START having accidents, but it's good that you are getting a referral. Also, if the specialist starts talking surgery right away, definitely get a second opinion. My 5 year old son is under the care of a urologist for a different issue (but will be released this month, finally!!!!), but our first urologist was pushing me to have surgery done when he wasn't even 1, and he ended up outgrowing the issue.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Roxanne, mother to Jonathan who's 4 and Chloe and Thomas who just turned 1 year old. I've been married for 8 years now and love my hus...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.