Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The best thing about 2011 was ______________
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I'm ready to say "see ya" to this year but thought we could share what we really loved about this year.

It was an exciting year for my 6 year old in 1st grade - I've loved watching her learn to read and get excited about math. I'm very proud of my husband, he got a great review and a bonus this year. He works really hard and has lots of stress...nice to see him get some kudos! I liked getting back into yoga...although the last 3 weeks have been lame. Part on my NY resolutions to make more time for myself. My 3 year old giving up the paci was a big one for us!

Who is next?

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

seeit2 responded:
The best thing for us was being able to move on. We got stuck in the mud for a few years there but now, with DH back working for himself, a new house in a new state...it was a good chance to start over. We are in better shape financially than we have ever been, DD is thriving in Kindergarten, everyone is healthy...we are in a good place now. Hopefully it can stay that way for at least a little while. So it was a year of transition for us, but positive changes all around.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

crunk05177 replied to seeit2's response:
possible triggs?

2011 was a pretty rough year for me....between our landlords kicking us out of our apartment, life changing decisions, new schools, everything....but everything worked out for us. We are in an amazing apartment/house in the town we wanted to live in, my son is in the district I wanted him in and is doing wonderfully and met some great new friends, and I am working on forgiving myself and/or accepting those decisions I did make, and in 2012 we are hoping for things to get even better!
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Baby1at35 responded:
2011-I am starting to feel a bit more like "me". A bit more centered. Losing my husband and crawling back through the grief has been a tremendous experience in both positive/and the obvious negatives. 2011 for me was one of growth and learning to gain my confidence back.
It has been a transition having both boys in school 1st and kindergarten. They are doing well now (yes after some mama bear on the school for me ! ) Plus me going back to work and allowing myself to gain my work confidence back!
I am hoping that 2012 brings me more confidence in myself. Also that we can get into a better school that fits our needs more.
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

ryanandleigh responded:
Let's see...for me personally, I think the best thing about this year was finally publishing my novel (under a pen name). I started it many years ago and though it was rejected by publishing houses I finally got around to publishing it this year as an ebook and it has received great reviews - though slow sales which is expected since I am doing it myself. For DH, he made partner (non-equity) at his law firm though his health issues have been a real downer and we are hoping to find answers for his problems in 2012. DS has done awesome in K this year. He is really excelling and excited about reading. DD has started preschool and in 2012 I am hoping she will decide she likes school more than she does.
Leigh, Jacen (6), Alexa (3)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to ryanandleigh's response:
Leigh - congrats!!!!! Do you care to share the title with us?!?

I'm very impressed

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to seeit2's response:
I love the term "stuck in the mud"...glad you are out of it! Transitions are hard but starting over sounds great

UKbluegirl2 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
TRIGGS

2011 seemed horrible starting off. I worked 6 days a week from January until my miscarriage in March, only seeing my children 1.5 days a week while also doing all the laundry and grocery shopping and then rushed evenings each night. I was thriving at the firm, but (little did I know then) my family life was suffering.

Then I had the miscarriage; it really threw me in a tailspin. For those of you that can't tell, I'm a control freak (lol). So this event really made me lose control of those things that I thought I was controlling so well.

I walked away from my position; took one with half the prestige for 2/3 the pay. But I've not missed a school event since and I have time to just sit with my children. I lost my 4th child, but I gained my older 3. I still cry myself to sleep nearly every night, but not for the child I lost, but for what I have now.

Sorry to get so sappy.....the holidays are wonderful. But they really do compound the pain of those lost. But I'm thankful. 2011 was good.

Long story short, 'the best thing about 2011 is that I got my babies back.'

VicsEandJ responded:
While it is bittersweet, the ebst thing abotu 2011 was watchign my babies trun into people!

2011 started off rocky becuse the kdis ahd given theri pacifiers to santa for the babies the week before. DD was only 2 so not as attached, but DS was 3 1/2 was very sad about the whole thing- it was hard to watch but he got over it mostly after the first 2-3 weeks. And it seems like once he was done with it, he was done being a baby. His desire to know everything about everything really took off, espcially toward summer. And while his whys drive me crazy sometimes, it's so great to see him learn and share what he knows- which to him is everything.
And DD adores him, so in her effort to keep up with him, she has grown up so much. She talks sooooo much, she can ride a bike with training wheels and pumps her legs on the big kids swing as well as DS and she only turned 3 a week ago. She is also great at the matching gameand has beaten everyone several times. She is defiintely not a baby anymore- not quite the lady yet, but a cool kid.

And now that DD is big enough, they play together so nicely. They also love playing with their friends.

The kids growing up hopefully means DH & I get more couple time in 2012!

VicsEandJ replied to ryanandleigh's response:
Yes, please share the title- that is sooo awesome!

sarah0323 responded:
2011 was a rough year for my family. I had a sick newborn at the begining of the year. Then we went on to having to take care of my mom. My oldest DS was hospitalized for mental health issues. Then to finding a new guardian for my mom to taking care of my grandma who has altzimer's. Now to my DS Cris who may not pass K because he can't keep up and the baby is sick again. I guess this year came full circle. We started the year in the hospital with the baby and ended the year with the baby in the hospital.

My kids grew so much this year. I am thankful that I got to be a part of it. My oldest DD turning in to such a wonderful young woman. She will help when I ask for it. My 7YO has worked so hard on learning to control his temper and listening. He has become such a big boy this last year. My 6YO is working so hard in school. He loves school though he is not thriving at this moment. My 4YO is talking so much more. We can't understand him yet but he is making sounds. I heard Mamma from him for the first time this year.

As rough as the year was for me I learned so much about myself. We will get better place in 2012. We will still have challenges but it is how I view those challenges that I think makes the difference.

Happy and Healthy 2012 to everyone.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

Iocasta responded:
That it is over though I'm not looking forward to 2012. I fear it won't be a good year, either.

ryanandleigh replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Sorry that I have been MIA lately - just busy. My novel is called Summoned (by Susan Leigh Noble) and is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iTunes and smashwords.com. It is the first in a trilogy. If you like fantasy (magic, dragons, telepathic cats) then it might be something you like. It has received 5 5-star reviews (2 of them on Amazon, 1 on Goodreads and 2 on independent review sites). Sales have been slow but that is to be expected as a virtual unknown author and without having a publishing house backing me.
Leigh, Jacen (6), Alexa (3)

VicsEandJ replied to ryanandleigh's response:
I will have to buy it! My DH LOVES fantasy- I wouldn't be sruprised if he knows about your book when I tell him about it.

That is so, so so awesome!!!! I, like many, have dreamed off and started writing a book, yet I'm now certain I will neve publish one!

UKbluegirl2 replied to ryanandleigh's response:
Susan, that is awesome! Congrats!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.