Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sick Kids Update
sarah0323 posted:
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. The boys recoved very quickly from their croup. The baby on the other hand has been having some difficulties.

I took her in on Wednesday evening to have her looked at and they found croup and a double ear infection. They started her on an antibiotic and a steriod and continued her albuterol. On Christmas she was just plain miserable to be around. On Monday I told my SO that I wanted to take her in to be rechecked well the dr. offices and urgent care were closed for Christmas and i didn't want to take her to the ER so we waited another day.

On Tuesday I took her back to the Dr. she was struggling to breath had had a temp now for 8 days. They found 2 different spots of pneumonia. The Dr. wanted her admitted to the hospital but the hospitals closets to us didn't have any room. So we were sent home with a different antibiotic and more steriods. All Tuesday she really wasn't getting any better. Her temp had gone up to 103.7. I was having a hard time getting her to drink anything.

Wednesday morning I took her in to the ER as she just wasn't getting any better. Emily was admitted to the hospital. She was only in the hospital for 2 days this time. (Side Note for those that dont' know: Emily was in the hospital last year for 2 weeks with flu and secondary pneumonia.) She is doing much better know. Still has the cough and doesn't feel good but her breathing is so much better. She didn't have to come home on oxygen this time just breathing treatments.

I know winter really just started last week but I'm so ready for spring and all the sickness to be gone.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

seeit2 responded:
Sounds like you've had a tough couple of weeks. And it was around the holiday too - that makes it so much harder. My DS seems to end up with lung and breathing issues every other time he gets a head cold, and I always find it so scary to hear him struggling to breathe.

It's got to be really hard to see such a small child in the hospital - I'm glad she is home and on the mend. Even tho the weather here in Texas is gorgeous we are still afflicted with the winter colds and bugs...and DD just brings them all home with her from K. The whole month of December was barfing and coughing around here. I'm with you - bring on the Spring!
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

Baby1at35 replied to seeit2's response:
Sounds like a tough few weeks. Glad everyone is on the mend.
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

VicsEandJ responded:
Glad everyone is feeling better. It's terribel being sick at Christmas, especially when a docotr's care is needed. DS was sick on New Years eve when he was 5 months, so we had no choice but to go to the ER. They have a pediatric one near us, but it was packed. We were there six hours.
The next year, when DD was born, the pedi on duty wouldn't let us leave on Christmas eve because DD had only been born the day before and she said that if any care was needed we'd have nowhere else to go but the ER, so we had to wait until Christmas to bring DD home.

Hoping the new year brings lots of good health!

steckie98 responded:
Glad everyone is getting better. DS was hospitalized for a week with pneumonia when he was 19 months and I know it was by far the worst week of my life. It just worries you so much. I hope she is feeling all better soon.
Carrie(33), DH (37), DS(4 on 6/13/11), DD(9/14/11)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Roxanne, mother to Jonathan who's 4 and Chloe and Thomas who just turned 1 year old. I've been married for 8 years now and love my hus...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.