Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Potty and wiping
Anon_149266 posted:
Is your DD doing a good job of wiping herself after using the potty ( for poop, of course ). Lately she wants me to do it for her and I have been doing it. We just enrolled her in a preschool where the teachers dont go into the bathroom with the kids for any purpose. So how do I tell her the right technique to do it herself. Should I talk to her teacher?

Anyone in the same boat as me as far as your DD not wiping herself?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

VicsEandJ responded:
DD just turned 3. She's been potty trained for months. At 'school' they wipe themselves but the teachers are there if they need help. They are supposed to ask, but I doubt that they ever do. She's never come home unwiped!
At home, DD will yell, I'm done, so that DH or I will come wipe her-pee or poop! Soometimes i give her the paper and tell ehr to wipe herself. Right now she seems to use one piece for the pee and another for the poop and she knows wipe front to back, but isn't great at doing it only once-since she watches DS who doesn't have the same issues, but since she starts in the back for poop, so far she's done ok. I'm assuming they taught her this when they potty trained, since she was potty trained before I even thought of doing it.

DS is almsot 4 1/2. We still check him after he wipes poop. Not to be stereotypical, but he cares much less about proper wiping than DD and one whiff will tell you if he hasn't done it right at school- LOL!!!

Good luck!

momtotan replied to VicsEandJ's response:
I am only worried for her at her school as teachers will not help. Should I ask the teacher in helping me to teach her how to do it? Should I involve her teachers in educating her? Maybe coming from the teacher herself she will learn better.

cinder44 responded:
I would just show her with motions or tell her how - reach behind her to wipe so she doesn't wipe forward.

My DC have to do it themselves at daycare. We also wait to hear the "I'm done" at home so we can go wipe them. We do not wipe DD for pee. If we are busy & they get tired of waiting they will wipe themselves & they do use gobs & gobs of toilet paper. I keep telling them when they turn 5 we are done doing it at home, too. If not then when they go to kindergarten it will start.
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

VicsEandJ replied to cinder44's response:
I plan to stop with DS before kindergarten too. Maybe at the beginning of the summer because I know he will get no help there! Like everything, I think they do much better at daycare than at home- on purpose to get mommy and daddy's attention!

FarmWife1979 responded:
DD is 4 and has been wiping herself quite well for a long time now and I can safely say from seeing her underwear in the laundry that she does a good job. They encourage the kids to be independent for bathroom time at preschool, so they keep the helping to a minimum. At home, we do keep a container of the Flushable Wipes (Charmin or Cottonelle brand usually) on top of the toilet tank so she can use those when she poops to get nice and clean.

momtotan replied to FarmWife1979's response:
The other day in preschool my DD went to use the potty and she wet her pants and it was in her bag among her fresh clothes ( Wonder what the teachers are doing ) I asked her how she wet her pants and she said, "The water splooshed from the potty and her pants got wet" I didnt get it...was the potty blocked and the water just came out..she says the water came out of the pottyand thats how her pants got wet. Should I ask her teacher what exactly happened or just let it be. She had changed her pants though.

cinder44 replied to momtotan's response:
IDK if it's the same in your school or not but the kids are allowed no access to plastic bags. I think our school keeps the clothes & puts them in a paper bag for us at the end of the day.

Or maybe your DD just changed & did not even tell the teacher & put them in there herself
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

VicsEandJ replied to momtotan's response:
At my DC's school, if the kids get their clothes wet- either potty accidents, getting to wet washing theri hands or spilled drinks, the teachers change them and put the wet stuff in gallon sized zip lock bags and leave them on top of the cubbies for parents to take home at the end of the day. i'm sure crazy things can happen at a potty when a bunch of toddlers/ preschoolers are there!

FarmWife1979 replied to momtotan's response:
DD has twice in the last week gotten the waistband of her jeans wet somehow. I was mystified and how this was happening until I walked past the open door of the bathroom at our house and saw her sitting on her potty seat, going pee, and attempting to "see" her pee at the same time which resulted in her leaning back and sort of angling her pee so it was going on the toilet seat. The pottys at daycare are kid sized and have the public toilet seat style seats with the gap in the middle of the front, so I "think" this is how she get the waistband of her jeans wet. Don't know if that theory works in your situation, but it's an idea.

j9ween3 responded:
just start making her do it & you can do a follow up wipe / check. I cut the kids off at 4
Janine - Tyler -6, Bella -4, Giana -19 months born 8 weeks early

momtotan replied to FarmWife1979's response:
Speaking of toilets at public restrooms, what do you all do for your DD to sit on? I usually wipe the toilet seat and then hold her on the seat until shes done but most of the times her underwear and/or pants touch the front of/under the toilet bowl. I always worry of her geting any germs or infections bec of this. Even if I were to use a seat cover it doesnt cover the front of the toilet. How can I prevent this? Any ideas?

Anon_24351 replied to momtotan's response:
I might get a lot of flack for this, but I don't worry about it. I let her sit on the seat, I don't wipe it or use a seat cover, unless it is a really gross nasty bathroom. I figure those toliets are cleaned more often than mine are, and I have seen studies that show that the most germs are found on sinks, the handles of doors, things like that. I can honestly say that we are pretty healthy familly, I can count on one hand how many times she has had an illness other than a cold, and she is 4 years old.

UKbluegirl2 replied to Anon_24351's response:
I put tp on the toilet. It probably doesn't help me. But it's what my mom did and I still do for myself and it makes me feel better!

momtotan replied to Anon_24351's response:
I have used the handicapped stall couple of times ( others were unavailable and she just had to go ) and also bec it has more room...Is the toilet seat in handicapped aisle more higher than the others...is that why her underwear touches the front of the toilet? It grosses me out when that happens, of course the clothes go in the laundry later but until then she wears them. So just looking into what other moms do for their DDs.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.