Skip to content
POLL: Vacation During School Year
babyj1017 posted:
DH and I are discussing taking the kids to Disney sometime this year. Neither one of us really has any desire to go to Florida in the middle of the summer heat unless we're going to the beach. My suggestion was to go after Christmas, the week between Christmas and New Year. His suggestion is to go mid-January to avoid some of the crowds. That would mean both kids missing a week of school for a vacation. I don't feel right about that, but wanted to get some additional opinions on the matter.

So, which would you pick... deal with the crowds so the kids don't miss school or have the kids miss school and go later in January.
Jenny(30), DH(33), Emily(5), Grady(3)

sarah0323 responded:
I personally would go mid January. We get 2 days off at Martin Luther King day so the kids wouldn't miss as much school and you still don't have to deal with the long lines.

Otherwise I would suck it up and deal with the crowds and go after Christmas. I wouldn't feel right either with the kids missing a whole week.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

crunk05177 responded:
We took the kids to Disney in mid October....I felt HORRIBLE taking DS out of school. Then I found out his BFF went the following week, and the more birthday parties we'd go to, the more I found out everyone does it. So now I don't feel so bad. Just do it! BTW We went to Magic Kingdom on a Friday....BIG mistake....def go mid week....the place was crazy packed!!!!
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

iocasta responded:
Once Levi is in first grade, he will miss school only for family things (like 80th birthdays) or if the trip is truely educational and structured to be educational (like visiting Rome). Just for fun vacation, we will only do them during set school breaks. I wouldn't take him out of school to visit Disney but then again I'm hoping we never darken Disney's doorway.

sarahdear responded:
We wouldn't take our kids out of school for an entire week unless it is an absolute necessity.

Now we did have George miss a Friday last month to go see the Rockette's in NY but it was kind of a once in a lifetime thing for us (we are moving back to the midwest for good this summer) and we arranged with his teacher 2 weeks in advance

I went to Disney World twice in high school during the week between Christmas and New Years and yes it is busier than a random week in January, but honestly, it's only slightly busier, nowhere near summer levels. So many foreign visitors come year round that it's always busy, and if you go during the slightly busier times then the majority of the rides & attractions will be open (as opposed to completely "off" times when up to 1/4 or 1/3 of the rides will be closed for maintenance)
Sarah 31, DH 37, George 5, Danielle 3

VicsEandJ responded:
I don't intend to take my kids out of school, once htey start real school, for any reason except for a real emergency or specialoccaison. THe one exception- which technically I consider a special occasion because I only plan to take them once! is DISNEY.

I've only been once, when I was in my 20s ( before I got old and cranky!) and it wasn't a holiday and it was crowded enough. I honestly think it would suck to be stuck at Disney with young children waiting on ridiculously long lines. No way am I going during any school break and I honestly don't know why anyonw would willingly go to Florida in the summer.

As for my children's education- if they can't miss a week of school without being tragiclly lostor behind, there are other issues. It's no different than if a kid is out of school for illness for a week. It shouldn't be a habit to pull them out for vacation but once or twice shouldn't be the end of the world.

Just my opinion...

ryanandleigh responded:
When DS was in preschool we took him out to go to Disney but since he started Elementary, I won't take him out. I don't feel he can miss a week of school - even kindergarten. Not to mention our state & school district both have very strict absence policies. There is no way to miss 5 days straight without a doctor's note or a family death certificate. That said, we are having him miss one day of school for our Disney trip. He will miss the last day of school. We are going to Disney World May 30-June 5 and then June 6-10 we will be at South Padre Island. (Yes, we are crazy taking back to back trips). I have heard that the crowds are not bad at the end of May/beginning of June as many children across the nation are still in school. I have a friend who is going over Spring Break (mid-March here) and they went last year and said the crowds weren't bad. You can always check out the crowd calendars at http://www.easywdw.com/ to help you decide when to go. The other negative with going in January is that sometimes rides are closed for refurbishment and also the park hours are shorter.
Leigh, Jacen (6), Alexa (3)

FarmWife1979 responded:
DD's still in preschool/daycare, but once she gets to regular school she will not be missing school for vacation. I can see maybe pulling her out one day early once per school year (maybe when there is a scheduled half-day or something like that), but not for a whole week. That's a lot of school to miss and I think it is important for kids not to miss school unless they are sick.

seeit2 responded:
I would take her out for trips but probably not Disney. I don't have a problem with missing a week but it's not like DIsney is a life-changer IMO. I have pulled DD for two days when her grandparents came, we just got the schoolwork before hand.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

j9ween3 responded:
I would take them out of school if they are doing well
Janine - Tyler -6, Bella -4, Giana -19 months born 8 weeks early

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Heather (29) and have been married for about 6 1/2 years to my DH (32). We got married on our 8th anniversary. We have two beautiful boys. ...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.