Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
So What do you think? 10 year olds mom arrested over letting him have a tattoo
Mainemommy posted:
Read the article first Intial reaction I was furious w her but now I think the state needs to mind its own

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/georgia-mom-arrested-allowing-10-old-tattoo-163937921--abc-news.html
Steph 38 DH 42 DD 9 Asthma eczema and allergies DS 5 Eczema and milk allergy

Backwards in High Heels
FirstPrevious12NextLast

sarah0323 responded:
When I read your heading i thought that the action taken was appropriate. But I agree with you I think the state needs to mind its own business.

This isn't exactly the same thing but how is it different than getting your babies ear pierced? Babies can't decide if they want their ears pierced the parents do. This young man asked his mom. He made a decision. I'm not sure that I would have allowed my children to get a tattoo but each person/family is different. I did get both of my baby girls ears pierced. I signed the papers and no one thought any thing of it. They are both permanent.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

baby1at35 replied to sarah0323's response:
I would not let my kids get a tattoo. However..........Knowing grief first hand I really understand why she did it. Her child was hurting from losing his brother. He wanted to do something to memorialize his brother . So I understand the mom feeling the need to help her child heal from the death of his brother by letting him get the tattoo.
At first I thought no way but as I read the article I really understand her position.
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

crunk05177 replied to sarah0323's response:
I wish I could read the article. Sorry to be such a PIA can someone PLEASE copy and paste it?
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

VicsEandJ replied to crunk05177's response:
Here is the article, Crunk:
Georgia Mom Arrested for Allowing 10-Year-Old to Get Tattoo By Christina Ng
By Christina Ng | ABC News Blogs — 3 hours ago

A Georgia mother who was arrested for allowing her 10-year-old to get a tattoo said she had no idea it was illegal for him to get one, even with her consent.When Chuntera Napier's son Gaquan Napier asked her if he could get a memorial tattoo for his 12-year-old brother Malik who died after being hit by a car, Napier was touched by the request.
"My son came to me and said, 'Mom, I want to get a tattoo with Malik on it, rest in peace,'" she told ABC News' Atlanta affiliate WSBTV. "It made me feel good to know that he wanted his brother on him."
When Gaquan Napier was asked why he wanted the tattoo, he said, "Because it represents my brother."
"What do I say to a child who wants to remember his brother? It's not like he was asking me, 'Can I get Sponge Bob?" Napier said. "He asked me [for> something that's in remembrance of his brother. How can I say no?"
Gaquan got a tattoo on his right arm of his brother's name and his former basketball jersey number. Napier also has memorial tattoos for her son on her right arm.
When someone at his school noticed the tattoo and contacted authorities, Napier was arrested on Tuesday and charged with misdemeanor cruelty and being a party to a crime, according to WSBTV . Napier bonded out of jail on Wednesday but is shocked that her consent was not enough for her son to get a tattoo.
"I always thought that if a parent gave consent, then it was fine," she said. "How can somebody else say that it's not okay? He's my child, and I have the right to say what I want for my child. I can't go tell anybody else what I want for their child."
A Georgia law from 2010 states, "It shall be unlawful for any person to tattoo the body of any person under the age of 18, except a physician or osteopath."
The Acworth Police Department did not respond to request for comment and the Smyrna, Ga. artist who did the tattoo is also under investigation.

Mainemommy replied to crunk05177's response:
Sorry Crunk it was a beep to even post the link I tried half of yesterday afternoon to no avail

Backwards in High Heels

VicsEandJ responded:
I agree that state went too far. But what about the school official? Why wsn'tt he mother contacted about it. Didn't anyone at the school know that his brother had died? If they saw the tattoo, it shoudl have been obvious.

Some people in postions of authority lack the common sense needed for their position.

I don't think anyone really needs a tattoo, certainly not a child, and I can see the point of and need for the law because you know that too many parnets don't parent and don't know how to say no to their kids, so a lot of dumb a***es would let their kids get tatted up, but some judgement could have been exercised here.

iocasta responded:
The fact of the matter it was against the law. The authorities have no discretion in this matter. They must apply the law. Now it will be up to the judge to mete out the judgment. One would hope that it will be a slap on the wrist and a call for the law to be changed to allow parental consent. The tattoo artist is the person in trouble. It is his/her business to know what the law is. I see a lawsuit coming on this one.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Whoa....A tattoo?!?

I understand in this instance that it seems the state is overstepping. However, after seeing how irresponsible some parents can be, I do think a "no kid tattoo" law does need to be on the books.

What if it was a full sleeve tattoo? A face tattoo? Can we legislate that body art for one reason is OK, but body art for another reason isn't?

The loss of a child....there are no words....

H

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I was reading the comments (usually my favorite part of any news story) and this was mentioned:

A Georgia law from 2010 states, "It shall be unlawful for any person to tattoo the body of any person under the age of 18, except a physician or osteopath."

Are there doctors who tattoo??!?!?

H

crunk05177 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have two tattoos and want two more....however, a 10 year old kid? I don't care if it was a memorial tattoo...a 10 year old with a tattoo should not be. I didn't think it should be a law, it should be more common sense. I personally like tattoos but they are like self mutilation. And when that 10 year old's arm becomes a 20 year old's arm, you know what its going to look like? It'll probably stretch and not look so nice. I don't know...I don't think she should get jail time for it but def a fine or something. The tattoo artist should have def known better and he should def be punished.
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

crunk05177 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
btw thank you for pasting the article...

Mainemommy replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
They would make a "new nipple / areola" for a breast cancer patient. I think the law should stand yet be decided on a case by case basis.
I would assume that this woman who already had tattoos took him to her "regular" trusted guy.
The same risk of infection can come fro somple ear piercing a teenage girl here back in 2006 actually ended up in the PICU from her bad piercing in her ears at a approved retailer A former friend of mine had in done to her 6 WEEK OLD!! I thought she was outta her beeping mind it bring that risk on her baby

Backwards in High Heels

phoenix31674 responded:
While I wouldn't do it, even for that reason, I don't think the mom should be arrested. The tattoo artist should be arrested for ignoring the law and not informing the mother of it.
Me (37), DH (36), DD (4), DS (10/4/10) and a cat

VicsEandJ replied to iocasta's response:
The school member certainly had discretion in this matter. The article doesn't say but I'm assuming it was a teacher or principal or possibly a parent. Not every offense is brought to the attention of the police. And not every person who breaks the letter of the law is arrested by authorities- everyone knows someone who was speeding but got off with a warning other than a ticket.

Holier than thou people are just as dangerous as morons who think a tattoo for a child is generally ok. Both exist and both should be stopped.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the father of two girls, aged 4 and 6.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.