Skip to content
DS sick TMI
cinder44 posted:
He has been sick with a tummy bug. It is just dragging on. It started last Wed. night with throwing up & now has moved into his intestines. How do I help it settle for him? He is scared when he goes to the bathroom & has water come out then he tries to push & I tell him that's it.

I know the brat diet, is that it? he doesn't really like toast or rice.
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

UKbluegirl2 responded:
Oh I'm sorry!! I typically stick with the BRAT diet and sometimes saltines and Cheerios.

mrswhitecastle responded:
If it has moved on from his stomach, I'd just let him eat whatever he wanted. Cheese seems to help bind my girls up, so I might encourage that, if he can stomach it.

Just make sure he drinks lots and lots of fluids since he could dehydrate quickly.

I hope he feels better soon.
Emily (6) Elizabeth (4)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Popsicles! That is my go to when the girls are sick and I'm afraid of dehydration...

Also, for some reason oyster crackers work too. I don't know if it's the shape or fact that they never get plain white crackers Photo of the kind they like here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_cracker

MAllen81 responded:
Yogurt! It replaces the good bacteria in the intestines!

Also, Pedialyte to keep him plenty hydrated.

VicsEandJ replied to MAllen81's response:
Try white grape juice if he doesn't like pedialyte-my DD wouldn't drink it.

Hopefully he is feeling a bit better now.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
How is kiddo feeling? I googled the BRAT diet to see if there were other options and found this:

Because BRAT diet foods are low in fiber, protein, and fat, the diet lacks enough nutrition to help a child's gastrointestinal tract recover. The American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that kids resume eating a normal, well-balanced diet appropriate for their age within 24 hours of getting sick. That diet should include a mix of fruits, vegetables, meat, yogurt, and complex carbohydrates.

See the whole article here: Is the BRAT Diet OK for Children?

Hope all is getting back to normal!

Haylen

VicsEandJ replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
wow, that's interesting about the BRAT diet! Not sure I'd want to start back on food so soon!

steckie98 responded:
Banana's can probably help as well. hope he is feeling better soon!
Carrie(33), DH (37), DS(4 on 6/13/11), DD(9/14/11)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley. I am happily married, with 2 boys 4 years and 18 months. I am a stay at home mother, and love it! .

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful