Skip to content
DS sick TMI
cinder44 posted:
He has been sick with a tummy bug. It is just dragging on. It started last Wed. night with throwing up & now has moved into his intestines. How do I help it settle for him? He is scared when he goes to the bathroom & has water come out then he tries to push & I tell him that's it.

I know the brat diet, is that it? he doesn't really like toast or rice.
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

UKbluegirl2 responded:
Oh I'm sorry!! I typically stick with the BRAT diet and sometimes saltines and Cheerios.

mrswhitecastle responded:
If it has moved on from his stomach, I'd just let him eat whatever he wanted. Cheese seems to help bind my girls up, so I might encourage that, if he can stomach it.

Just make sure he drinks lots and lots of fluids since he could dehydrate quickly.

I hope he feels better soon.
Emily (6) Elizabeth (4)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Popsicles! That is my go to when the girls are sick and I'm afraid of dehydration...

Also, for some reason oyster crackers work too. I don't know if it's the shape or fact that they never get plain white crackers Photo of the kind they like here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_cracker

MAllen81 responded:
Yogurt! It replaces the good bacteria in the intestines!

Also, Pedialyte to keep him plenty hydrated.

VicsEandJ replied to MAllen81's response:
Try white grape juice if he doesn't like pedialyte-my DD wouldn't drink it.

Hopefully he is feeling a bit better now.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
How is kiddo feeling? I googled the BRAT diet to see if there were other options and found this:

Because BRAT diet foods are low in fiber, protein, and fat, the diet lacks enough nutrition to help a child's gastrointestinal tract recover. The American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that kids resume eating a normal, well-balanced diet appropriate for their age within 24 hours of getting sick. That diet should include a mix of fruits, vegetables, meat, yogurt, and complex carbohydrates.

See the whole article here: Is the BRAT Diet OK for Children?

Hope all is getting back to normal!

Haylen

VicsEandJ replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
wow, that's interesting about the BRAT diet! Not sure I'd want to start back on food so soon!

steckie98 responded:
Banana's can probably help as well. hope he is feeling better soon!
Carrie(33), DH (37), DS(4 on 6/13/11), DD(9/14/11)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Mom of two adorable munchkins. Crystal, 9-15-06, and Aiden, 5-12-10. My DH, Chad, is the light of my life, and helps try to keep me sane. :D...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.