Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Expectant Mother Parking
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I was SOOOOOO tempted to park in a "parking for expectant mothers" spot last night in the crowded Target lot...My feeling is that a pregnant woman who shouldn't be walking long distances should have a legitimate temporary handicapped placard.

Do you have these signs where you live? There is a local DJ who encourages all of his mostly male listeners to park there - his feeling is that it's unnecessary and how would a ticket be legally enforced. Whenever he brings it up, the phone lines are jammed with supporters.

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

crunk05177 responded:
I have done it before. The mall I sometimes go to during lunch is ALWAYS packed. I only have an hour to get to the mall...get what I need to get...get lunch, eat it and get back to work....if there is a spot close by I will take that one though...it's only when I am desperate! And my theory is that when I was 9 months pregnant and waddling across parking lots, how many nonpregnant people parked there...so it's ok for me haha. I guess I am bad...sorry!

Some supermarkets here have parking for parents with toddlers too....those are pretty neat.
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

nursingbug responded:
LOL Haylen- lurking from another board- you know I have got to respond!
Even being 4 months pregnant now, I generally don't use them, because I want to get in as much activity as I can.
My last pregnancy, when I was 330 lbs was another story. Toward the end of that one I had some preclamsia, a lot of swelling, and extreme fatigue- it never entered my head to ask for a handicapped placard though- those spaces were a godsend when they were there.
Generally though I think they are just a measure for the store to be seem friendly to women- who make more of the purchasing decisions!

iocasta responded:
Seriously, parking spots for expectant mothers? That is just crazy and in IMHO a bit lazy. It isn't a illness or a handicap. I can see if you have a health issue you should be given a temporary handicap placard but it shouldn't be de facto. Of course, I rode the bus, which included running for it, or walked home (3 miles) up to the day I gave birth.

UKbluegirl2 replied to iocasta's response:
We only have them at BabiesRUs here.

I too think it's lazy. But this from the woman that ran as a sport (not out of necessity like you Steph) through 3 pregnancies. I told myself the more exercise I got, the easier my deliveries would be.

VicsEandJ replied to iocasta's response:
I'm not opposed to the ideaof parkign spots for pregant weomwn- what if you have to pee, barf or are gcarryign something heavy? I don't think a woman needs to be treated like an invalid during pregnancy, but I sure wish people were more considerate. I rode the bus and subway every day- I didn't run for them while pregnant, sorry, Steph, I didn't need to be anywhere fast enough that I felt the need to move my big bellied-body any faster than normal walkign speed - but walking up and down the stairs going in and ourt of stations was exhausting, especially when it was hot outside and it would've been nice if people were kinder. I worked right up until I had them but people rarely ever let me have a seat- and if anyone did, it was usually an older woman.

I think that since people refuse to just be nice to others some places think that they have to be made to be nice. Who does it hurt, pregnancy is temporary.

iocasta replied to VicsEandJ's response:
I would tell DH about my bus dashing, I have compulsive disorder that I must catch the bus, and he would be pissed at me. Yeah, I spent many a bus ride standing.

crunk05177 replied to iocasta's response:
I do have to say my second pregnancy was a little painful. As soon as I hit 30 weeks, I felt like the baby was going to just fall right out. When I had to chase after my then toddler, I was almost immobile after a few moments....so in a sense I can see using it then BUT otherwise it is really not neccssary.
Me (28), DH (30), DS1 - Michael (4) and DS2 - Nathan (1 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

VicsEandJ replied to iocasta's response:
You are a brave woman. I was always scared to run for the bus and part of it was that I was worried I would pee on myself- I always had to go (TMI-sorry).

iocasta replied to VicsEandJ's response:
More like stupid but I got lucky.

baby1at35 replied to iocasta's response:
I will say that since I had a small baby and was pregnant again. I was sooooo grateful for the close spot at times. Especially towards the end of the pregnancy with Tre.
I was sooo exhausted with the grief process of losing my husband , taking care of a baby and being pregnant ...I felt like I am taking that close spot. One luxury I had!
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

VicsEandJ replied to baby1at35's response:
I think having them close together- mine are 171/2 months apart, not 10 (that is frightening to think about! , definitely made the exhaustion and need to pee worse.

With all that you were going through, it's a wonder that you even got out of the house at all! ((Hugs))

baby1at35 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
Yes Vics it was a very challenging time physically with the boys being so close /emtionally with the pregnancy and grief. So the luxury of a close parking spot was wonderful. Although a lot of people brought me groceries ect I did have to go out for food at times (reluctantly LOL
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

peachyisthelife responded:
Wow, I'm really surprised how common they sound like they are where yall live. Only place I've ever seen them are at babiesrus here. I've parked there sometimes while pg and shopping there but the parking lot is usually kinda empty so whether I got a pg sport or not didn't matter. I never had to walk far. Is it needed? Eh, not really. Doesn't bother me much, though. I guess b/c I don't see them around here besides BRU.
Cathryn~~~Jared 5yo~Brooke 3yo~Leah 1yo

crunk05177 replied to peachyisthelife's response:
I parked in one at lunch today and laughed in honor of you guys at the sign. I needed to run into Children's Place at the mall really quick, no spots anywhere....I see one open, pull in and BAM....expectant mother parking...I just stayed...I was in and out in 10 minutes...but you guys did pop into my head

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.