Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Has your kid been in trouble in school?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
My 7 year old 1st grader got in trouble for playing in the bathroom during class with a friend...standing on the toilet having a party!

She has to see the scary principal today and will be "benched" for recess. She's hysterical but we role played her meeting and I know she'll be fine.

I just wish I could be there to hold her hand!

Haylen

VicsEandJ responded:
No but one of my neices spent as much time in toruble as she di outof it during her school days- all for silly stuff.

I'm just hoping that my kids are the ones who hate getting in trouble enough to avoid it as much as possible!

samijac responded:
Wow Haylen! That seems a bit over the top to send her to the principal for the first time she has done anything. Good idea on the role playing. Maybe this will keep her from getting in trouble again though. The fear of going to the principal's office was a big deterrent for me.

My DD has never been sent to the principal's offce but she gets on yellow at least once or twice a week. I can't believe it has taken me this long to pick up on the pattern, but she gets in trouble for talking during math more often than not.

When questioned recently she has told me more than once that she is done with her work and so she talks to the other kids. Wondering if I should talk to her teacher and see if she can give her another worksheet or something to keep her occupied until the other kids are done with their work?

baby1at35 replied to samijac's response:
I agree a bit over the top to have to speak with the principal.
Henry has been in trouble for bathroom play. He had to sit out recess the whole time. (which I thought excessive but ...
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

ryanandleigh responded:
So far...nope, DS has never been in trouble at school. They have a system there where everyone starts with a green card. If they misbehave, it is turned to yellow, then red. If you exceed red, you get a trip to the principal's office. DS has never had anything but a green card which means he earns a small prize each day. But I do get to hear about the kids who didn't stay "on green" and even the few times a kid has had to go to the principal's office.
Leigh, Jacen (6), Alexa (3)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to ryanandleigh's response:
Actually, I thought seeing the principal was OK - the school is public, but one of the top performers in Los Angeles - tons of parent involvement, fundraising, great teachers. I like the idea that kids who misbehave get an immediate consequence - in addition to being benched, my kid has "community service", picking up trash for a few days.

Every class room uses the red/yellow/green system within the class - my daughter has only been on yellow once for a few hours because she was talking.

Anyway, the storm has passed and I feel like I'm not going to worry about her goofing off during class anymore!

samijac - good idea! But maybe make her extra task more fun - going to the reading corner, helping the teacher erase the board or sort homework, take notes or materials to the office, etc.

H

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.