Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just delivered...any tips to get the kids to embrace it?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
From my inlaws....Now to find lessons. Any tips to teaching kids to like playing? My brother and I hated it - now I regret quitting....

VicsEandJ responded:
If your kids are like my kids- tell them that they can't touch it or learn to play it- that'll get them into lessons quick!

mrswhitecastle responded:
How much can you play? My girls are always interested when I sit down and play. Elizabeth actually shows a bigger interest in it than Emily.

I tried piano lessons for the girls last year. They were too young for it. I had to sit with them the entire time they practiced. I figured if I had to do that, I may as well save the money at this point, and teach them myself.

I may look into lessons again this Summer, especially for Emily. Once they hit around 3rd grade (when I started taking lessons), they will be taking lessons whether they like it or not. I think it's really important that they learn to play an instrument and to read music.
Emily (6) Elizabeth (5)

linzuh04 responded:
They sell letters to stick on the keys so you can learn the notes. DD has an ipad came called "Play it yourself" (or something along those lines)

baby1at35 replied to linzuh04's response:
So what age do you think lessons should start? I don't play but my brother does. I think he started at 7.
My Mom wants to get us a piano. I want both of them to learn.
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

UKbluegirl2 responded:
The Music Director here where I work says that 5-6 is an excellent age to start IF they are interested. Ava is starting lessons on the 21st. She doesn't like to do things that she's not good at, so we shall see how long it lasts......

I really wish I'd learned a musical instrument. So I'll be trying to get her to give it a chance.

j9ween3 responded:
my mom made me take piano lessons. I hated practising every night
Janine - Tyler -6, Bella -4, Giana -22 months born 8 weeks early

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to j9ween3's response:
I can't play at all - grew up on a lake in Oklahoma and my mom said if I didn't start practicing, she's push the piano down the hill and off the dock.

Of course, I never touched the piano again!

6 or 7 seems like a good age...looking up programs and teachers now....

Stephensmom1214 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I think the worst thing you can do is to try to force it. Do they WANT to learn? I think if they don't, I might wait. By the way, this is coming from someone with a college degree in music, who HATED being told to practice. It's just something to think about...
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Mom of two adorable munchkins. Crystal, 9-15-06, and Aiden, 5-12-10. My DH, Chad, is the light of my life, and helps try to keep me sane. :D...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.