Skip to content
Preschool Behavior Help
steckie98 posted:
Hi Ladies, Wanted to get some of your thoughts on this. Ashton is going to be 5 in June. He goes to a daycare and part of his day there is preschool. Ever since around the time Chloe was born, he has been being really distant during school, not wanting to participate in activities, being disruptive and not raising his hand, kind of being off in his own world as the teacher put it. She said he just doesn't seem happy and doesn't get excited about anything. She has to prod him and prod him to get his coat on to go outside, etc..

At home for the most part he is a very happy, outgoing, loving, silly kid and when he is one on one with friends, he is fine too. She is having a school psychologist come in to do a little screening to see if further evaluation is needed.

I am kind of freaking out a bit!
Carrie(33), DH (37), DS(4), DD(9/14/11)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Well, the good news is that the teacher sounds on top of it!

Is it possible that his behavior is that way before nap or snack? Could he be tired or hungry at that time?

Also, what is his age compared to the other kids - the teach might be unfairly seeing him in relation to children who are older.

(((hugs))) to you! I'm sure waiting for the screening has got to be anxiety producing. Deep breaths!

Haylen

iocasta responded:
Deep breathes. We had Levi evaluated at about the same age with a neuropsyche last spring at his teacher's request. Levi was doing the same/similar things. There was nothing wrong other than he was a newly minted 5 year old boy. We did find out that he had a solid I.Q. not genius but well above the curve. Honestly, they are too quick to evaluate kids and boys in particular these days. Try to not freak out, I know it is easier said than done.

VicsEandJ responded:
Is his preschool focusing on more acamdeinc stuff in preparation for kindegarten?

DS's has done that this whole year and a few of the motehr's were syaing at the begining of the school year how their kids were not enjoying school as much because it was more structured with less free play time. One mom, whose son is one of the oldest in the class said that he really loved to play and cuddle at school and the adjustment was hard for him.James doesn't seem to mind hte academic aprt of it, but I have ntoeiced that he doesn't seem to talk about or love his teachers as much as some of the previous ones. Maybe that is it with Ashton.

Or maybe the teacher is prodding the kids to be more independent with things. At DS's school they are really stresing self-help skills. James can do a lot of things by himself and more often now will say thta he can do them by himslef, but spometimes he really still likes it if you help him with his coat, shoes, etc. I know they are much firmer with getting the kids to try at school then I am at home- when we need to get out of the house, I am more then willing to help if it gets us out quicker, and I know that he is bothered when he is struggling with something and they keep asking him to try.

With James, he also has isues with the lunch policy. The teachers try to encourage the kids to try some of whatever is being served. But at home, I don't make James eat anything. He is a great eater and likes way more foods and food groups than the average 4 year old and will try new foods, so when he really says he doesn't liker a food, I don't make him eat it- not even a bite, if he has tried it before. He always tells me when the teachers tell him he has to eat soemthing he doesn't like and it affects his mood. It doesn't happen often ( but it did yesterday!) so I haven't done anything about it other than to tell him that that is the rule at school.

My point- it doesn't have to be anything major. Our kids are growing up and with that comes opinions and reactions to things which they don't always know how to properly express yet. So try not to freak out, even after the psychologist sees him. I think most shcools want everyone to be the closer to the same because it makes it easier on them and kids who aren't perfectly inthe middle don't all have major issues!!
Good luck!

steckie98 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
Thanks Vickie, I think a lot of what you said is true. I am like you and am probably not as strict at home as what they are at school for certain things as well.
Carrie(33), DH (37), DS(4), DD(9/14/11)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.