Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exactly ! This is what I have been fighting for (Recess)
baby1at35 posted:
Interesting article on recess and I see as a trend in our city. Interesting to see it is a trend in others taking recess away ect.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/health/diet-fitness/parenting-recess-kids/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

VicsEandJ responded:
It is totally crazy! And it is a bgi issue. On a lto fo the school tours DH & I went on, schools actually amde a poitn f telling parents about any extra recess periods that ehy give tot he children.

I can't understand how anyone would think that less recess is good. I know kids are expected to know more at yougner ages now, but anyone who's ever gotten any education- and teachers and school administrators tend to ahve a decent amount- knows that for the most effective learning, breaks are needed! You can only stare at information so long before the brain stops retaining it effectively.

And that doesn't even take into acount the obesity problem and the fact that exercise is necessary!

baby1at35 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
This is such a huge issue for me. Even at work we need to get up walk around and go back to our work. We get to chat with people at lunch.
Just feels like military school and I really think the lack of physical activity/recess time leads definately to obesity but behavior issues as well.
I am a Psychology major and one of my first jobs was at a shelter and residential treatment facility for kids. When we gave them physical activity even those with diagnosed behavior issues were able to handle themselves better. I would move the furniture in our big room and have them do jumping jacks , sit ups and move before our group theray sessions. It helped them focus and the had a fun time jumping around a bit being silly before our serious group sessions.
And in this article they are actually trying to pass a bill for some states. Do we have to have a law for recess for kids? Can't it just be common sense ? GEEZ...
Okay (I have stepped off my soap box !

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Where DS used to go to school, the teacher said they would go outside for recess every day unless it was raining so dress your child appropriately for the weather and send a coat if it's cold.

When I was in school (many moons ago), we had a morning recess, lunch, then an afternoon recess.

nursingbug replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I remember the 3 recess days!
I can't believe that it is getting cut so much- that is terrible. Arwen is still in preschool for half days, so not an issue for us yet, but I may have a choice of schools when she goes to K and that is one of the first things I am going to ask.

baby1at35 replied to nursingbug's response:
Currently in 1st grade if my son is having trouble with a certain assignment ect. He will have study hall instead of recess. I am fine with him not falling behind however those days he doesn't get recess. If they get in trouble recess is taken away. Thankfully this year the weather has been so mild for winter they have gotten to go outside most of the time. However if they do not have outdoor recess they have indoor recess in their classroom basically sitting around playing for a few minutes. PE is only one time a wk.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to baby1at35's response:
PREACH SISTER! I am right there will you. Physical activity is so important - how about this study:

Sitting Too Long May Boost Odds of Dying

That is the article that made me set the timer so that I get up at least once an hour and move!

Thanks for sharing -

Haylen

j9ween3 responded:
our school district gives 10 minutes of recess after lunch - ridiculous! Full day K & they get 10 minutes
Janine - Tyler -7, Bella -5, Giana -2 born 8 weeks early

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to j9ween3's response:
Ten minutes? That is laughable....it probably ends up being about 4 minutes after they get out and line up and everything...crazy

seeit2 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I hate reading about the stressed-out fourth graders. I student- taught in a 4th grade classroom and even I was stressed when test-time came. And the recess thing is just common sense IMO. Maybe we should all email our principals with a link to that article.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

Mainemommy replied to seeit2's response:
YES let's get rid of all recess!!! The children aren't FAT enough YET the more activity the less they weigh!! If adult working 8 hour a day get 2 15 mins & 1/2 for lunch children need more GET A CLUE schools no wonder ADD is on the rise.
I know for Daycare Maine State law has minimums the children must go out. If its say 10 & sunny no wind the lil buggers still go out
Steph 38 DH 42 DD 9 Asthma eczema and allergies DS 5 Eczema and milk allergy

Backwards in High Heels

Spotlight: Member Stories

proud dad of 2 kids, one is 4 1/2 & the baby is 4 months old (born june 2010). married for 13 years & live in the sunny south.....i'm an a...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.