I would apprectiate some suggestions.
An_244700 posted:
A couple years ago I switched to Lactaid for my daughter just on a whim. She would wake up screaming at night. I would go in and comfort her and hold her until she fell back to sleep. As I hold her she would pass gas Sooo much. I tried the lactaid as a test and she wouldn't wake up with gas pains anymore but my daughter is still awfully gassy. She doesn't want to drink milk in the mornings especially when she has Ballet class or goes to Preschool because she gets embarrassed but I'm not sure what is causing the gas. Any ideas or suggestions?
I need help. My little girl is scared to drink milk the mornings that she has ballet and preschool cause when she is gassy it is loud and she doesn't want her classmates to notice her problem. I was thinking of trying Silk soy milk but I dont know if it would help or not. Please any advice or suggestions would be great. Thank you for any help.

Stephensmom1214 responded:
Is there something else that she's eating? Maybe it's not the milk at all. My DS gets gassy when he eats too many grapes (which is really unfortunate because he LOVES them!). I would avoid Soy milk - studies have shown that there is a higher amount of estrogen in soy, and that's not really good for kids. You could try almond or rice milk as an alternative. Is it just milk, or ALL dairy products. I think if you eliminated ALL dairy, you could get a better idea as to whether or not that is the real problem. Good luck!
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

nursingbug responded:
I would talk with the pedi, but it wouldn't hurt like Stephensmom said to eliminate all dairy products- maybe she is lactose intolerant. The other thing I know is to keep a food diary- write everything down she eats and how she feels afterward to look for pattens- I would imagine the md would tell you to do something like that anyway. If it is dairy she could always get her calcium from other sources. Most of the world is lactose intolerant, and they do fine.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Although this article is geared for adults, you might find some additional clues about what could be causing excess gas:

Sensitive Stomachs: Gas Control

My 7 year old gets stomach cramping when she is gassy. I have her lay on her back with her knees up and rock gently from side to side. It usually works like a charm (an explosive charm!)

Haylen