Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Poll: Swing Set
mrswhitecastle posted:
1. Do you have a swing set? If not, why not?
2. Do you have wood or metal? Do you like it?
3. How many times per week does DC play on the swing set?
4. At what age do you think DC will outgrow the swing set?

We are (hopefully!) going to be completing our backyard remodel soon. I've been researching different swing sets, and wondering if we should upgrade ours.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
We actually have my husbands swing set from when he was a kid and he's 46! I think his neighbors made it (see photo below) One of the seats is missing because the kids like to take it off and swing on the chains like they are vines. One of us swings on it at least once when we are in the back yard.

Good luck on the backyard remodel! I wanna see pix!

nursingbug responded:
1 Yes
2 metal- it is ok
3 depending on the weather, 5 days a week
5, I am not sure- maybe a couple of years?

the only reason we have one is that my mil found it at a garage sale for $10, it is one of those 2 seater metal ones with a small slide on the side

Stephensmom1214 responded:
We are getting ours delivered on Monday, actually! It's a wooden one. While we only have 1 kiddo, we wanted to go with wood and plastic because of the heat here (metal wouldn't get played on much in July/august!). I think it's going to end up being a daily activity once it's put together, and I hope it will last us for many years to come.
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

sarahdear responded:
1. We do
2. Metal, we got it for maybe $120 from Walmart, it has 3 swings and a slide. Definitely like it for the price. We are military, about to make our last (I hope!) move when DH retires this summer, so we weren't going to invest in a wood swingset. Love the one we have, so do the kids
3. Depends on weather, but they play with it whenever we are out in the backyard
4. Not sure, at 4 & 6 they are still going strong, probably for a few years still
Sarah 31, DH 37, George 5, Danielle 3

RoseLynn02 responded:
1. Yes we do, my father in law bought it last year for our oldest daughters 3rd birthday.
2. It is metal, but the swings, slide, teeter-totter, glider, all that stuff is plastic. So, we don't really worry about the heat effecting it. It also has a sandbox that has a roof over it for shade with pink and purple sand it (thank goodness for her grandpa!). I like the wood ones, but you really have to watch them with the weather changes or the wood splinters. The wood ones are beautiful though and they have more options because most of them have several add-on options where you can like buy the swing set and then say maybe later add on the fort.
3. Just about every day that the weather allows for it, but we have a lot of outdoor toys( one of the favorites being the soccer balls and goals/nets, we have sporty daughters) so over all my kids just like to be outside.
4. My 9yr old nephew still plays with his, so I'm hoping a long time. At least 6 more yrs? I don't know. I even still like going out and swinging on the swings with them and so does my husband.

Good luck on the upgrades. I found a lot of great swing sets on toysrus.com when we were searching (before we new her grandpa bought one), but they were really pricey. The Walmart by our house has a 14ft trampoline with inclosure for $180! We are thinking of getting that this year for a family gift! Still contemplating considering the potential dangers though.

baby1at35 replied to RoseLynn02's response:
We do not have one. I wish we did but our backyard is a hill so it wouldn't really work !
Our neighborhood park is very close though so we go there. But at times I wish we did have one it would be nice to have the boys go out and play on it.
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

lbcash responded:
1. Yes we have a swing set and my son loves it!
2. And it is PLASTIC. And I love it. It is a Step 2 swing set.
3. My 4 year old just learned how to really swing and he swings on it every day. He loves the outdoors. I swear I believe he'd sleep outside if I'd let him.
4. Sadly I think he'll outgrow the swing set in the next couple of years, but I have a 5 month old that is waiting to use it!

iocasta responded:
No. We have two children's parks within a 5 minute walk of our house. Plus honestly, I dislike the looks of them. When we renovated our front garden space about 4 years ago, we did have our landscape architect design a sandbox for Levi using old street cobbles and small boulders. I think this will be the last year of the sandbox so she and I will have to rethink that space in the garden. Given Emily's and Elizabeth's ages my sense is that a swing set won't have much longetivity. Levi could pretty much careless about swings anymore. You might want to think about something that is more for climbing.

sarah0323 responded:
1. Yes we do. We actually just got the kids a new one for Easter.
2. We got them a wooden one this time. Before we had a metal one. The metal one we had for 12 years. The kids played with it until it wasn't safe anymore. I choose a wooden one this time because the kids were really wanting to make a club house in one of our trees. The tree that they choose we want to cut down this fall. So we decided that we would rather give them a fort/clubhouse that was safe and wouldn't need to be moved in a few month. I also like the idea that we started with a starter set and we can add onto it as we need/want. The wooden one takes up more room but it has more activites for them to do.
3. My kids play on it everyday.
4. Well my 12 YO still goes out and swings on the swings. Not as much as she used to but I would say a couple of times a week.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

UKbluegirl2 replied to sarah0323's response:
1. Do you have a swing set? If not, why not? We are looking for one now. We are doing a backyard renovation also. The previous owner of our house had some beautiful landscaping that fit well with his retired lifestyle. It does not fit ours. So we've had to replace a lot of items with low maintenance items. We took out a hybrid lily bed and are putting down the playground mulch with a swing set and trampoline, possibly other things....but those two first.
2. Do you have wood or metal? Do you like it? Our homeowners association only allows wooden due to the asthetics of the neighborhood. We must actually submit the plans and get it approved prior to installation. But I wanted wood anyway; so I'm fine with the rule.
3. How many times per week does DC play on the swing set? All 3 children play on their respective swing sets or playgrounds at school every day. Ava is more into the climbing aspect so we will be getting a multi function set that allows for more than just swinging.
4. At what age do you think DC will outgrow the swing set? No idea, but I remember playing on my swing set until I could not physically anymore.

VicsEandJ responded:
We don;'t hav one since we don't have a backyard. But my kids would live at the palyground if they could. We go year round- its'never too cold to swing, appratnely.

In our neighborhood, even the teenageres love the swings- maybe its because everyone lives in apartments and they have no rpivacy, but there are often groups of preteen and teenage girls sitting onthe swings talking- this is during the day since all of the playgrounds close at sunset. DD loves when the older girsl are there.

DH's brother has one- its wood with swings and a slide with the climbing things ( like on a rock wall) next to the ladder. My kids wish they could live there! They play on it whenever we go there- even at Christmastime.

I love the way swings look in a backyard- very cheery and whenever I see one I think happy kids must live there.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley. I am happily married, with 2 boys 4 years and 18 months. I am a stay at home mother, and love it! .

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.