Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sunglasses - do your kids wear them?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Our sunglass habits could use improvement, according to a new report issued today by The Vision Council, an industry group.

Click the link to read the details: More People -- Even Kids -- Need to Wear Sunglasses

I'm looking into transition lenses for my 7 year old this summer....my girls won't wear hats or sunglasses but I might have to start enforcing.

Haylen

sarah0323 responded:
I wear sunglasses year round. The sun actually bothers me more in the winter than it does in the summer. I started wearing sunglasses when I started wearing contacts in Jr. High. My SO also wears sunglasses. The kids it is hit or miss. They usually break their sunglasses a few days after they get a pair.
Me 33, DD - O 12, DS1 -J 7, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 4, DD2 - E (11/10)

RoseLynn02 responded:
My kids always wear sunglasses when we leave the house & on really sunny days they wear their sun hats (sometimes my oldest steals her daddy's baseball caps!). My oldest girl is 4 & my lil girl is 1. I never have a problem getting them to wear hats or sun glasses. Probably because their dad & I always wear them (well, I'm not much of a hat person...he is though).

kc_94920 responded:
DH and I both wear sunglasses year round and hats when we are playing golf, tennis or hiking. I also wear sun hats at the beach and poolside. My kids wear hats (both baseball and sun hats) without a problem but only the youngest likes sunglasses. DS has transitional lenses on his glasses but not RX sunglasses.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

Stephensmom1214 responded:
DH and I are both very sun-sensitive, and wear sunglasses all the time. DS, however... well, he has a lot of sensory defensiveness with his head, so sunglasses are really a struggle for him. But we keep trying, because he refuses to wear a hat for the same reason.
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

baby1at35 replied to Stephensmom1214's response:
I wear sunglasses year round as well. The boys do not really wear them as much as I would like. They are starting to love hats though so that is good.
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

VicsEandJ responded:
I used to wear sunglalsses all summer because when I was wearing contacts my eyes were super sensitive to the sun. But now that I've ben wearing my galssess pretty consistently for the last 5 years, I don't usually wear sunglasses- too much hassle. I have a pair of prescriptiion sunglasses, but I only break them out for the beach because that's the only place the sunglare really bugs me. I wear baseball caps frequently.

DS wears sunglasses outside but chucks them after 5 minutes. He will wear a baseball cap longer but it depends on what he is doing.
DD, whose eyes are lighter than DS's, loves sunglassses wears hers much longer, but will also give them up if they interfere with her play. SHe complains about the sun in her eyes. She doesn't like sun hats or baseball caps as much but I bought her a Dora cap that lasts slightly longer.

DH , who has blue eyes and wears glasses, is not bothered by the sun at all. He loves baseball caps - they cover up his bald spot!

iocasta responded:
I wear sunglasses all year round. I have Rx sunglasses. I can't stand transitionals. DH won't wear them but wears a hat. Levi wears a ballcap most days and occasionally wears sunglasses.

cinder44 responded:
I have Rx sunglasses & the transition lenses on my regular glasses in case I don't have my sunglasses. DD & DS have several pairs of sunglasses but normally can't find them & don't wear them too often. Dh wears sunglasses pretty often. Hopefully the kids will get into the habit as they get older too.
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

BekahS responded:
I wear sunglasses year round. I've got to have atleast 6 pairs but for some reason the only ones that get lost are the expensive ones....cheap ones hang around forever. haha.
DF wears his all the time. Except of course if he leaves them in his truck since my car is the family vehicle.
DD has multiple sunglasses as well. She normally only breaks them out in the summer and has to be reminded to put them on. I think they're is a pair in the car and the rest are in her drawers.

BekahS replied to BekahS's response:
there* not they're. Sorry..that bothered me!

jlynnpaine responded:
We insist that the girls wear either sunglasses or hats or both when they're outside. I worry about their vision. DH always wears a hat and I try to remember to as well to set a good example for the girls. If it's bright out, DH and I wear sunglasses too.

Spotlight: Member Stories

KC~ lucky mom to DD1 (9), DS (7) and DD2 (4)

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.