Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Steph and any other moms of boys
UKbluegirl2 posted:
How did you get Levi or your son out of night time pullups???

Wil is 4yo now and well I hate it for him. We severely limit the boy's fluids after 4. I make him go before bed. I go up again and drag him to the bathroom before I go to bed. And we talk and talk about waking up to go to the bathroom. Then he MAY have 1 dry night a week.

When Ava was potty trained at 2.5, she was totally trained. So I'm just not sure what else I can do for Wil.

iocasta responded:
It isn't unusual fort boys not be night time potty trained until 5-6. We worked hard once he hit 5 but it wasn't much before his 6th birthday that it just happened organically. He had the desire at about 4 but his body thought differently.

nursingbug replied to iocasta's response:
My dd is 4 and still wears pull-ups to bed- she rarely, rarely has accidents during the day but at night even doing everything like limiting fluids and taking her right before bed does not make a difference.

baby1at35 replied to iocasta's response:
I had to gradually go with it. No liquids after dinner here and underwear. They have these bed pad things now instead of pullups that is a big sheet pad that sticks to the bed. Maybe you could put him in undies and try that ?
Tre was ready long before Henry was.
Also at the beginning I woke them up at 11pm before I went to bed as well.
I also transitioned by having cloth like pull ups . I got them at one step ahead. That worked nice so they could "feel" the wet and wake up.
Not sure if any of this helps. We still have the occasional accident mainly when we have been up late/tired ect...
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

mrswhitecastle responded:
I don't have boys, but Emily wore a pull-up until she was 6.5. IMO, and according to our pedi, there isn't much you really can do. You just have to wait for their body to be ready. Emily had almost no dry nights until she was around 6.5, and then, it was like a switch went on, and she stayed dry.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

baby1at35 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
That is true MrsWhiteCastle. Tre was ready 1 yr earlier than Henry. Henry was 5 but Tre was 4.
My pedi also said if they are waking up dry for 1 wk or around 5ish days they are ready.
I was sooo grateful to not buy the pullups.
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

VicsEandJ responded:
James will be 5 next month and he wears Underjams because he's too big for pull-ups!

I read soemthing in an article on WebMD once that said you cannot nighttime train children. They will only stay dry at night once their bodies start producing a hormone that allows them to and the age varies per child.

This is a similar article:http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/potty-training-seven-surprising-facts

It sucks, and there's nothing you can really do about it, IMO- I am not waking up all night to take them and I am opposed to limiting liquids, espeically in hot, humid summer weather- I just buy big boxes of underjams ( and pullups for Ella -she will be 3 1/2 this month and has been potty trained for over a year, but not at night) They last a lot longer when you only use one a day! .

j9ween3 responded:
DS just stayed dry, nothing we did. On his 3rd bday, after he'd been dry for months at night, he told us he didn't want to wear pullups anymore at night.

Are you limiting drinks after dinner? their body just needs to mature
Janine - Tyler -7, Bella -5, Giana -2 born 8 weeks early

laney0705 responded:
Right after DS turned 5 we just stopped buying pull-ups. He had a about 4 accidents in his bed over the course of a few months but that was it.

I think DS was just being lazy b/c he knew he had a pull-up on he didn't have to get up and go. Now he gets up in the middle of night by himself and goes.

Each child is different. It's ok if he's in pull-ups till 5 or 6, nothing wrong with that.
Me(42)DH(39)DS(5)DD(2)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.