Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blue - TRIGGS
UKbluegirl2 posted:
[TRIGGER] So for those of you that remember my cat Blue going to the vet about 4 months ago, she has taken a turn. The antibiotic seemed to work and no more peeing outside of her box as long as I kept it clean. She was eating her prescription kidney diet in moderation, but she was eating it. DH and I would have to give her the appetite stimulant about 1x a week to get her eating it again. But she was OK.

Well Sunday DH (he feeds them most often) told me we needed to give her another pill. So we did (it's a pretty amusing site, if you have a cat you can imagine). Immediately after taking the pill, she got sick, but it appeared the pill stayed down. Sorry TMI. Anyway she still did not eat. I sat with her in the sunroom and tried to feed her some regular cat food just to get her to eat something. She had a few morsels.

So I called the vet yesterday and decided to try the pill again last night and watch her. Well I found her up in Mia's room, which I took as a good sign because she had enough energy to climb the stairs. But when I found her she was pretty lethargic about going back down. So I carried her and again sat with her and tried to coax her to eat after DH and I administered the pill. She took a tiny sip of water.

DH and I watched her as much as we could. He did see her go into the litter box, so hopefully that was a good sign. I am taking her in at 9:45.

I've had this cat for 17 years. She has been with me through so many bad and good times. I've known her longer than DH; she moved with me 75 miles when I left my hometown. She sat with me while I studied for my CPA and MBA. She's just been my buddy through so much.

As you can imagine, I'm pretty emotional this morning. I keep telling myself this is silly, she's lived a great long life. But it still sucks. Thanks for listening. Hug your pet and your children!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

iocasta responded:
I'm so sorry. (((((hugs)))))

mrswhitecastle responded:
I'm so sorry. It's not silly. Pets can help us through some really rough times.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 responded:
I'm so sorry. Pets can help us through so much.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

UKbluegirl2 responded:
Thanks everyone.

I just returned from the vet. I had DH meet me there after his meeting. I'm more of the realist and think with my $$ head and try to not get emotional. DH told the vet to do whatever tests and we'd do what we need to do help Blue live out her life.

He said he didn't want to think we didn't do something for her because of $$ that he can make more $. I'm so glad he went!

So now it's a waiting game. We had to leave Blue there for the tests. She is dehydrated as well so they are giving her fluids.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
We lost a 17 yr old cat 5 years ago. It was the first time I saw my husband sob. I have no words of wisdom for you but I'm thinking about you and sending (((hugs))) your way.

Your DH sounds like a keeper...

H

iocasta replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
Things looked grim of one of our old girls last year but we have her on thyroid meds, an oral steriod and b-12 injections she is holding her own. She just turned 18. Fingers are crossed that something similar is all that Blue needs.

cinder44 responded:
I hope everything turns out ok. Keep us posted. We recently lost our first furbaby of 16 years. It is horrible! ((((Hugs))))
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

baby1at35 replied to cinder44's response:
Sorry hope you are doing okay and kitty is ok..
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

UKbluegirl2 replied to baby1at35's response:
Thanks ladies...still waiting on the vet to call. Pins and needles. I keep checking my cell for a missed call.

DH said he would take the kiddos and go get her if I didn't want her staying at the vet until I got off work. Maybe I need to be nicer to him?....

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
Any update?

UKbluegirl2 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for asking Haylen. Not good...

Blue did not win the battle. I sat in the exam room with her for about 30 minutes while the vet gathered the last of the test results and then he came in and started with "I'm soo sorry..." I sat numb for about 10 minutes and then I lost it. So I brought Blue home, cried a lot more and the children and I sat with her. I tried to put her in the sunroom at bedtime as that's where the 2 cats normally sleep and their water and litter box are in there. But Opal smelled the medicinal odors and started hissing and growling at her. At this point, Blue was basically out of it; she had no fight and I was afraid. So we moved her cat bed to the living room next to the couch and DH slept on the couch beside her. I took something to sleep but still was up a lot. Sat with her for about an hour in the morning while DH worked out and everyone else was in bed. I noticed that she'd wet her bed which just reinforced the vet's recommendation. I moved Opal out of the sunroom and took Blue in so that she'd be out of the chaos when the kids got up. DH carried her bed and I carried her. When I put her down by the water bowl (just in case), she could barely stand/use her back legs.

When I got home with her the previous evening and told DH the prognosis, I told him I couldn't take her back and he said he'd take her for me. He even said he'd sit with her for me; I didn't want her to go alone. He had a work appt at 9:30 and when I called the vet they couldn't get Blue in until 9:30; the idea of her suffering until they could get it all worked out was breaking my heart; so he called back and worked his magic.

He got there with Blue at 8:45 and the vet arrived at the same time. The vet and I had just met during all this and he was a bit pushy as far as the testing, but he obviously cares about his patients; DH said as they both knew the deal, the vet had tears in his eyes as well.

I've known Blue longer than I've known my DH and many of my friends. I got her 17 years ago and she 'listened' when nobody else was there. I remember petting her as I cried over some stupid guy or other and her just sitting in my lap and purring while I rubbed tears in her fur. Even as my life changed and got crazier and she slipped down the list as to attention, she was still there.

What my DH has done for me over the past 48 hours means more than he'll ever know. IMO that's love; flowers don't mean crap.

baby1at35 replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
So sorry (((HUGS)))))
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

sarah0323 replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
I'm so sorry. ((HUGS))
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
I'm so sorry.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mom of two boys, Travis (4-19-05) and Skyler (12-15-06). I've known my DH Joel since 11-23-01 and were married 5-19-05.

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.