Skip to content
Spent the day at a new pool ...
baby1at35 posted:
We have been going to the Y pool (indoor). But today we ventured out to a new aquatic center. Talk about fun. Huge waterslides. 3 flight of steps. The boys went up and down so much they were almost crawling up !
I think they will sleep well tonight. I had 50 spf sunscreen on but I still look red. (maybe why I don't do outdoor pools. ).
But we had a blast and will go again before it closes for the summer!
Me (42) 2 busy boys 6 yrs and 5 yrs

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
So awesome!

Is that through the city Parks and Recs department? (I forget what state you live in but I hope it has more public money than CA for fun public areas!)

I wish we had a waterslide/splash pad near us.

Check the expiration date of the sunscreen - I made that mistake once and paid dearly for it

H

baby1at35 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes it is parks and rec. It is about 2 yrs old maybe 3 .. It is the first time we went there. Since we are Y members we always just go to the Y to swim.
Not sure the Y will be cool after this place. They also had a great section for the smaller kids too. Nice play area.
And seriously why do I wear spf 50 and still turn red?/ UGH I did check and it wasn't expired. Do they make more than 50?
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

sarah0323 replied to baby1at35's response:
I have to wear SPF 80 or I turn red. I also have to be careful of the brand I wear or end up breaking out.

Glad you had fun at the pool. I think we are going to head to our local pool this weekend too. My kids want to ride the tubes around the lazy water park. We only have 2 slides at our pool but the kids always love going on them. What I like is that they have an area just for babies and smaller kids. I know we won't be utilizing it much any more but when the kids were smaller it was great.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle responded:
We have been going to a local one with a friend the last couple of weeks. They are so much fun! Next year we will have to get a Summer pass. I think I enjoy the lazy river more than the girls do! My girls aren't quite tall enough to do the tallest water slides. They have to be 48 inches, and Emily is just under that. They still have a blast with the shorter ones, though.

I think our sunscreen is 70 or 75. The girls are tan, but not red. It was pricy, but well worth it.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

UKbluegirl2 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Nuetrogena makes an 80 cream that I use on my face that doesn't dry greasy. It's really good!

iocasta replied to baby1at35's response:
Are you putting enough on? This generally the problem and not the SPF level. Not enough is a common mistake. The average adult needs at least an ounce of sunscreen per application and should be liberally reapplied every couple of hours, after swimming or sweating too much.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to baby1at35's response:
I like that the parks and rec pools are free if you have a library card!

Maybe get a long sleeved rash guard with SPF instead of just sunscreen? And a hat? And a burka???

Here's a list of top sunscreens from consumer reports - http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/news/20100525/best-sunscreens-a-consumer-reports-ranking

I'm using a sunscreen from Trader Joe's right now - will find out if it's working this weekend -

H

baby1at35 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I will have to see what I can do for sunscreen. I kept re-applying it. I am so fair skinned it stinks. Usually I am okay with lots of sunscreen. I believe it was coppertone brand. I will look at the list and try to find better sunscreen. Or cover from head to toe ! haha That pool is open until August 12 so I want to get it in a couple more times. The boys were fine with SPF 50 (yes they do burn.. even though they are mixed race they got my more fair skin. Henry more than Tre. Tre just gets a beautiful tan !
It is expensive though $16 for the 3 of us ! Yikes. But worth it as they had a great time.

Stephensmom1214 replied to baby1at35's response:
They make up to SPF 100, I believe. I'm pretty pale myself, and I'm good with 70, reapplying every 2 hours or so.
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

baby1at35 replied to Stephensmom1214's response:
Thanks everyone. I am going to look for better sunscreen. It was coppertone. We just ran out of the up and up (target brand) that was #1. I thought I was doing better buying a brand name. For me I am getting higher SPF. I am not burned terrible but definately red/pink...

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My name is Ashley I am a 25 year old SAHM. I have been married to my wonderful hubby Chris (27) for 7 years. We have 2 kids together Kaiden (5) an...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.