Skip to content
Kids at midnight PG-13 movie....(poss triggs)
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
[TRIGGER] [TRIGGER> The Colorado shooting has the internets buzzing about kids at movies and some parenting writers are saying that we have no right to judge a mom or dad who takes a little kid to a midnight PG-13 movie.

A 6-year old girl is the youngest victim of the massacre and reports confirm that other babies and young children witnessed the horrifying events.

I can see why you would take a baby under 6 months - chances are they would be asleep. But an older kid?

My dad took my brother and I to see Aliens - he was 8, I was 10. We both had bad dreams and I still remember being completely terrified.

What do you think?

Haylen

baby1at35 responded:
For me I would never take my kids to a midnight showing at this age. Teens I can see that happening.
What happened is something I cannot comprehend. I cannot believe that it happened.
I have no words to express to the victims of this . I am praying for all involved.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

crunk05177 responded:
I would never either. However, I have a friend from highschool who took her 6 year old to the midnight showing of the Avengers and to Spiderman. Apparently he is a huge superhero buff. To be honest I wouldn't let my kids see those movies no matter what time it was.

Due to the tragedy, I am not going to judge that mother. I don't think that is what is important here. What happened is so horrifying and I too, can't even begin to imagine what it was like nor want to.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

tbkittycat responded:
I was thinking the same thing about young kids at the midnight showing. Personally, I wouldn't even think of taking my kids to a movie that late; I'd find a sitter.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to tbkittycat's response:
Are any of your kids aware of the shooting?

My 7 year old heard my DH and I discussing in code but we were able to divert her attention.

She's at camp today - some older kids - I'm wondering if she'll hear about it. If so, there will be 1,000 questions to come!

baby1at35 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
My boys are aware of it. (from older kids at the Y) I explained as much as I could without scaring them. Heck I have a hard time processing this stuff without fear. Although the boys understood pretty well and seem okay.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to baby1at35's response:
I was cruising a parenting blog discussing this and one mom said:

"I have 5 kids and I tell them to run in a zig zag pattern because a moving target is harder to hit"

GAH! Do I need to have that discussion - really?!?!

crunk05177 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
MIne don't know anything about it. Unless someone brings it up, which I don't know how or where they would, I will not tell them about it. I feel it is something they don't need to know about....like someone else said, it is too scary for me to think of, can't imagine a 5 year old knowing about it
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

sarah0323 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
My kids aren't aware. Even the teenager. Right now she is just to self absorbed to be aware of current events. I don't feel the need to bring it up with them.

Also, I don't think I'm going think I'm going to have to teach them to run in a zig zag pattern when someone is shooting at them. I dont' even know how I would start that one.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

cinder44 replied to sarah0323's response:
I wouldn't take my kids to a midnight showing anytime soon. They should be sleeping then.

My DC are not aware of the shooting. I was mortified when my DD heard on the car radio that a child had drowned over the 4th of July. I had to explain why & how it was important for her to learn how to swim.
Me, DH, DD(4), DS(4)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to cinder44's response:
No more listening to news in the car anymore - we're strictly Radio Disney.

Those top-of-the-hour headlines are horrific!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful