Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Running Away
sarah0323 posted:
J has started running away. He has ran away 6 times in the last month. He has sever anger/rage issues. I checked him into crisis services on Monday and he will get to come home tonight. It was either crisis services or the hospital. He was hospitalized for anger issues last year in May. This morning we had a family therapy session and we decided that the next time Jacob decides to run away for whatever reason that we will hospitalize him again. If he is physically hurting anyone then we will call the cops and have him taken either to the hospital or to juvenille correction facility.

I never thought that this would be our way of life. I know it is best for him but it is still hard. He is receiving so many services to teach and help him with his anger but right now none of it seems to be working. Tonight after he gets discharged I'm going home to pack up all the toys, and any clothes that aren't a neccessity. He has to work to earn everything back. No clue where I am going to store it all. Maybe in the trunk of the car.

If something doesn't work I honestly fear that I will get a call one day that he has murdered someone because he can't control his anger/rage. None of the other kids have anger issues like him. I really wonder what it is that we didn't do right over the years. I will say I have been afraid of him when he is in the anger/rage state of mind.

I have to keep telling myself one day at a time. We will get through this. I can't give up on him. No matter how hard we will do everything possible to help him.

Sorry I rambled and I know it is all over the place.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

baby1at35 responded:
(((HUGS))) I do not know what to say. Ramble here anytime and we will listen.
It sounds like you are doing all you can do.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

UKbluegirl2 responded:
I'm sorry you are going through this Sarah.

Please feel free to use us as a sounding board. We are 'there' for you.

Also please push your son through as many services as possible. That's what they are there for and perhaps the right person will get through to him.

Not sure if you remember my story about my ex HS bf. But his parents buried their heads in the sand.

No matter how hard it is, take care of you and your other kids!

((((((HUGS)))))))

cinder44 responded:
((((Hugs)))) So sorry you are going through this. I hope something helps at some point soon.
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

crunk05177 responded:
So sorry you have to go through this. Don't blame yourself. I don't think it is something you did personally. Are you seeing a therapist for yourself? If not, it may be helpful for you since you have so much on your plate.

On a positive note, this sounds like my DH when he was a kid. In and out of hospitals, refusing to leave his house to go to school, getting into tons of trouble. Eventually they sent him to boarding school for about 4 or 5 years. I have mixed reviews on that choice but we will save that for another time. When I first met him he was 17 and (my parents didn't know until years later), he had just gotten arrested bc him and his friends decided to rob people on the streets. They eventually got caught and he spent a week in jail and years on probation. This was his eye opener. Yes, he still has his issues.....but nothing like when he was a kid. Hopefully things will get better and he will "snap out of it" and will lead a "normal" life one day.

We are all here for you and you can ramble whenever you need to. We all do it!
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

sarah0323 replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
Lyn--We keep doing various services to try to get something to "sink in". I'm hoping that one day it will. I can't barry my head in the sand I know this isn't going to go away. It is only going to get worse.

Crunk--I do currently have a threapist. Some times I feel like I see more therapist than a person should see.

Thank You everyone. Somedays it is so hard but we keep going. I am hoping something helps. One day it will.

I'm taking a mental health day at work on Friday. I need some time away from everything even if it is just for a few hours. I will enroll the kids in school in the morning and then I'm taking the rest of the day to myself. I think I am going to try to go get a massage. I've never had one but have a gift certificate for one. Here's hoping to no major crisis on Friday.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hey Sarah,

I have a friend who recently went through this with her teenage son and they are in a good place now. It did take time. I sent her an email to see if she has some insight to share with another parent.

You WILL get through this! And he will too! Hang in there - (((hugs))) coming at you from the Left Coast.

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to sarah0323's response:
And your Friday sounds perfect!

You are going to love that massage....looking forward to your review of it!

mrswhitecastle responded:
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I can't imagine how difficult it would be. Please know that we are always here to listen.

Enjoy your Friday. You deserve it!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 responded:
{{{HUGS}}}. Sounds like you are doing everything you can. In my experience (in special ed), some kids are just wired differently...he's lucky to have you behind him. And I agree, your Friday plan sounds like a great idea.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

UKbluegirl2 replied to sarah0323's response:
Sarah, I wasn't insinuating that you were going to bury your head or that you wouldn't use all the programs. I hope you didn't think that! Just trying to encourage you and support you.

I should have added that your son is very lucky to have you on his side! I'm rooting for you.

Here's hoping for a boring stress free RELAXING Friday.

sarah0323 replied to UKbluegirl2's response:
Hi Lyn,
I didn't take it that way at all. I got that you were encouraging and supportive. I apperate all the encouragement and support from everyone. It was so needed yesterday.

UKbluegirl2 replied to sarah0323's response:
Good! This electronic stuff is so difficult to 'read' sometimes.

Hang in there. It's almost Friday!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mom of two boys, Travis (4-19-05) and Skyler (12-15-06). I've known my DH Joel since 11-23-01 and were married 5-19-05.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.