Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Email for 4 year olds! COOL or NO WAY?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
The creators of Maily think kids should be able to use tech for communication.

The iPad app, is targeted towards 4 to 9 year olds with bright colors, options handwrite words and take photos.

Maily - Email for ages 4 to 9

Saw this posted on FB - pros are introducing kids to technology and communication, cons are "enough with the screen time"

What do you think?

Haylen

p.s. This story concerns me as my 7 year old already wears glasses: Computers Hurt Kids' Eyes

mrswhitecastle responded:
Sheesh. I was expecting the "it will help them learn to read and write" argument in the article.

No way, no how does my 5 year old need her own email account. IMO, people forget that kids are kids and NOT mini-adults.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
My 4 year old would probably figure out how to email to get a taxi, drain our bank account and head to Toys-R-Us!

I'm with you MWC - they've got plenty of time for computers - if they want to send something to grandma, they can use the good old Post Office...

sarah0323 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have to say no way!! I don't know what they would do with an e-mail. If my kids really want to they pick up the phone and call grandma. They save all their drawings for when we go visit grandma. I honestly can't think of one reason why they would need an e-mail account.

As far as I'm concerned they don't need e-mail until they are older. I don't know at what age but right now they don't need it.

My 13 YO does have an e-mail account but hardly ever uses it. It is attached to my SO account so it can be monitored. She hasn't used it since May. During school the school year last year she only used it 3 times and that was to send homework to a teacher.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

Spotlight: Member Stories

proud dad of 2 kids, one is 4 1/2 & the baby is 4 months old (born june 2010). married for 13 years & live in the sunny south.....i'm an a...More

Helpful Tips

Glowstick bathtime!
Go to the dollar store and buy some glowsticks, then for bathtime (after kids are safely in the tub) dim the lights and have a glowing ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 38 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.