Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back to School shopping list!
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
DD starts 2nd grade 8/14. We're doing shopping this evening. Here's what we need:

backpack
lunch box
water bottle
underwear (her's got all tiny during the summer!)
socks
shoes
new glasses - new prescription - slightly worse
sunscreen stick that she can put on her face herself

She has so many clothes since we get hand-me-downs but I'm organizing today so we may end up getting some t-shirts and shorts.

It is going to be hot, hot, hot when she starts school - over 100 next week

Haylen

mrswhitecastle responded:
Emily starts 2nd grade on 8/14, too.

I think we have everything we need. We finished up this morning by getting Emily's "first day of school" outfit. Emily was starting to freak out about not having her outfit, since Elizabeth picked hers out over a week ago. Fotunately, Kohl's was having great clearance and I had a 30% off coupon, so it was cheap!

Now I just have to fill out all of Emily's allergy paperwork and make sure her homework is finished. Then we will be all set.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Congrats on finishing - I'm What did she pick out to wear?

My daughters school doesn't have any dress code other than closed toe shoes - so shorts & t-shirts seem to be the outfit of choice for girls/boys from kinder - 5th.

Back in the stone ages, dressing up in an "outfit" was the norm. I'm sort of surprised at how casual kids are these days.

H

mrswhitecastle replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Her outfit was just a new pair of orange plaid shorts and an orange t-shirt with horses on it. (For some reason, she's been into horses lately.) Anyway, she's happy with it, and it only cost around $5 for the outfit, so I'm happy with it.

Elizabeth likes to dress up a lot more, so her outfit is "fancier". More like a real 2-piece outfit, pink of course, with some ruffles and maybe a couple of sparkles.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 responded:
I have to go get 1 more pair of PE shoes and we are done.

My kids are starting back in their shorts and T-shirts. It is still too hot here for anything else. A few weeks ago I went through all of their clothes. Got rid of several things but they are still ok with what they have. Usually sometime the first part of October I will go buy jeans, sweatshirts, shirts, etc.

My oldest wants to go get contacts. I'm not sure that she will get them before school starts but it will be close.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Oh, I forgot. There is one more thing on my back to school to do list. I'm taking Emily to get her haircut today. Then we will be officially finished. Well, at least until someone reminds me of something else I need to do.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Not sure if you have one in your area or not but JC Penney's is giving all kids K to 6th grade hair cuts this month for free.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to sarah0323's response:
I saw a commercial for the free hair cuts last night during the Olympics - Thanks for the reminder, Sarah!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tammy and I'm the mom to a wonderful 6 year old boy (PJ) and a beautiful 4 year old girl (Kylee). I'm a step-mom to four kids as we...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.