Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Peanut allergies and school
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Yesterday was the first time DD has had a child in class with a severe peanut allergy. (public school)

I was impressed with the way it was handled. The teacher introduced the allergic child's mom who explained that her daughter has a life-threatening allergy and asked that any kids who had peanut products in their lunch wash hands after eating. She also said that she'll bring a special treat for her daughter for in-class birthday parties. A letter also came home in the homework folder.

I had no idea that the school sets aside 2 tables in the cafeteria just for those with food allergies.

How are food allergies addressed at your school? This must be so stressful for parents - my hat is off to anyone who faces this issue!

Haylen

seeit2 responded:
In Lily's case, no letter went home about her milk allergy but the class got a visit from the nurse the first day and she talked about being clean and not sharing food and being safe for everyone - without coming right out and saying "because Lily has an allergy". She sat at an "allergy-friendly" lunch table with two other kids who were spaced with an empty chair in between them to avoid spills, and the table was washed down before and after lunch. The whole class stopped on the way from lunch and washed their hands in the bathroom after they ate. I did all of the baking for school parties and was in touch with the teacher over everything necessary. But it was handled very respectfully, I think. They still almost killed her twice, but we actually consider that a pretty good performance overall.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to seeit2's response:
Good to hear that all of those precautions are being taken!

crunk05177 responded:
It is impressive, I agree. I just wish more people took it as seriously as the child's parent though. Luckily I can get away with not sending DS to school yet but next year he will definitely have to begin pre k...I am absolutely terrified.
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

mrswhitecastle responded:
A letter goes home to all the parents in DD's classroom. It does not identify the child, but discloses what the allergies are in the classroom. It explains food labels, and the terms "processed in a facility," "may contain," etc. We also have a table in the cafeteria for those with food allergies.

I am always there to help for class parties or school events, because most of the time, there are still treats which are unsafe. Since I'm there, I can read the labels myself and determine what is safe. Last year, there was a girl in Emily's class with a peanut allergy. She did not have a parent there, so she just refused all food.

It's far from an ideal situation, but it could be much, much worse. And, we have survived without incident, so it's working for us. Sorry for the long post, but once I get started, I find it hard to stop.

And Crunk, you know where to find us when you need some support/understanding/hand-holding when pre-K comes around.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

BekahS responded:
Avery does not have any allergies to date but..at parents night for kindergarten the faculty explained that since allergies are become more and more noticed, the school has adopted a "no food policy." When someone has a birthday, they ask that if you wish to send in a treat, that it be non food. Examles were small toys or a room gift like chalk or some other large group activity.

As far as lunches, I would have to wait and see until next year.

Roxy1255 responded:
My 4 year old preschooler has a peanut allergy. I contacted the school and they do not serve any peanut products for the hot lunch program. In order to avoid any risks from kids bringing something from home with peanut ingredients, the kids that bring cold lunches sit at a separate table. That way it does not "point out" my child with the allergy and the kids at the table would probably vary daily based on who brought lunch. If my son would happend to bring a cold lunch, he would just eat at the hot lunch table though. I thought that was good that they did it that way so that it didn't separate him from the rest of the class every day (and it's a small school so he would be sitting alone most of the time!)

mrswhitecastle replied to Roxy1255's response:
That is a nice way to work with peanut allergies in the lunch room.

I don't know if you know it or not, but there is a Food Allergy Families board here on WebMD that you may find helpful/interesting.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Here's a direct link to the Food Allergies Community for interested parents:

Food Allergy Families

MWC - did you start this community? It's awesome!

Haylen

mrswhitecastle replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
No, Deb (seeit2) gets the credit for that. It is an awesome place.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

crunk05177 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
Like button! LOL!
Me (29), DH (31), DS1 - Michael (5 1/2) and DS2 - Nathan (2 1/2 - severe peanut allergy and an egg allergy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.