Skip to content
What is your morning school routine?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Whew...today was challenging! Week 2 of 2nd grade - we still don't have the mornings down.

I have a chart on the door:
Get dressed
Sock/Shoes
Breakfast
Brush Teeth
Sunscreen (I put on faces, arms and legs every morning - the worst part of the morning)
Get backpack, lunch, water bottle

I work from my home office 6am - 2 pm so DH makes breakfast/lunches. We lay out clothes the night before. DH and DD are out the door at 7:40 for drive to school. He walks her into to line up/morning announcements then he gets in the car for his hour commute (it's 13 miles, gotta love LA)

What's yours?

Haylen

sarah0323 responded:
Last week seemed to be easier than today.

First Wake Up call at 6:30
6:39 Second Wake Up call and out of bed
Meds
Get Dressed
Shoes/Socks
Breakfast
Hair & Teeth
Out the door at 7:35. The oldest leaves at 7:20 for school.

Clothes are laid out the night before including socks & shoes. Back packs are hung by the door at night. The kids are responsible for making their lunch the night before. If they don't then they have to eat at school. I also set the table the night before. Normally we then only pull the milk out of the fridge for breakfast. I find that if I get up and am ready before I get the kids up it is easier. Normally though someone is always lagging behind in the morning. I need to drop the kids off at school at 7:40 or I will be late for work.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle replied to sarah0323's response:
I agree about getting up first. Then I can have at least part of a cup of coffee and watch some news before they are up.

Emily's alarm goes off at 7 (She's good about getting up.)
Breakfast and meds
Makes bed
Gets dressed, brushes teeth & hair
She usually has time to watch TV
DH drops her off at 8 on his way to work

The night before, lunch is made and her backpack is ready to go.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

baby1at35 responded:
Well so far... this morning our first day.

School does not start until 9:05. We can be there at 8:40 for breakfast though. Got there early today expecting lots of traffic but not anything like our old school so we can get there later!

Up at 7:15 or 7:30
Get dressed
Gather items needed for the day
teeth brushed/hair combed/glasses accounted for
Maybe a snack before breakfast at school (depends on how they are feeling).
shoes on
15 minutes of curious george on tv or free play
8:30ish off to school for breakfast.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

tbkittycat responded:
I get up at 5 or 5:10a, depending on how many times I hit snooze. I finish my routine and then get the kids ready. Grandma or daycare feeds them breakfast so all I have to do is get them up and dressed. I try to get their diaper bags ready the night before but usually forget so I have to make sure there are diapers and a change of clothes for each kid. My kids are learly risers so I rarely have to wake them.

seeit2 responded:
My kids must be slobs. I usually have to feed them before they get dressed so they don't end up dribbling all over themselves.

Last year we watched TV and ate breakfast but this year I'm thinking we'll eat together at the table and skip tv. Don't know how that will go over. So we'll get up, eat, get dressed, play, shoes and out the door. She has to be there at 7:50 but we can leave at 7:40 and walk there in plenty of time.

DD learned to tie her own shoes, but it takes her forEVER to get it done, so I think I have to actually schedule that time in as well.
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

Stephensmom1214 replied to seeit2's response:
We also eat before getting dressed, lol!

DS is our rooster, so he wakes up really early, and has a lot of time to play while getting ready in the mornings...

Wake up
play/watch TV
eat breakfast
clean up/bathroom/get dressed
teeth burshing
maybe play a little more
go outside for the bus at 8am
Patty, Erik, and Stephen (12/14/06)

sarah0323 replied to seeit2's response:
Mine can be slobs. I made some "bibs" out of bath towels. I still pull them out once in a while. If they are being messy they have to wear a bib before school.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

cinder44 replied to sarah0323's response:
I think it will be:
  • wake up at 6:30-6:45am
  • go to bathroom
  • eat breakfast
  • brush teeth & hair
  • wash hands
  • get dressed
  • get shoes on, get lunch & back pack
  • head to bus stop at 7:30am
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

BekahS responded:
I have yet to actully employ this...but here's my gameplan.

Alarm goes off at 5:15am
Get out of bed at 5:30am
Excersize << atleast this is my plan
Shower/get dressed/bathroom stuff
Coffee/breakfast
Get DS up/fed/dressed
Leave by 6:45-6:50am

DF is in charge of getting DD up....
Wake up and out of bed 7:30am
Breakfast
Get dressed/teeth/hair
At the bus stop by 8:15-8:20am

All lunches, bookbags, and diaper bags are packed the night before. We each have cubbies so jackets/bags/extras will be in there.

I aim to have DD's entire outfit down to the shoes set out the night before. God love DF but his skills at picking out girl outfits is lacking

Now lets hope this is actually how our mornings go!

Rebekah

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM (HBP Depression sleep apnea) to my 2 kids DS (eczema milk allergy) 6 and DD 10 (asthma eczema and allergic to almost everything w fur) I h...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.