Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Interesting differences this year in school-homework
baby1at35 posted:
I find it interesting how different the view on homework is this year at the new school.
Last year in 1st grade Henry had about 45 minutes of homework a night.
Tre for 1st grade- no homework (and he is my kid that wants homework! I know crazy. I will have to make some up for him or simply practice reading.
Henry-15 minutes Mon-Thurs(reading) and practice spelling over the weekend.
Tre actually had homework last year in kindergarten as well.
It feels a lot more managable and somewhat strange.
Just curious how much homework y'all have?
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

sarah0323 responded:
Our school rule set by the school board is no more than 20 minutes per grade. So in 1st grade no more than 20 minutes and 3rd would be no more than an hour. That being said most days they don't give near that much in elementary school.

Cristopher my 1st grader gets a phonics page where they practice writing there letters and code the words daily and a math homework page daily. They take at most 15 minutes to complete.

Jacob my 3rd grader only gets a math homework page and to practice spelling words. His homework usually takes 10 to 15 minutes. We also make him read at least 15 minutes a night.

Colby in PreK badly wants homework but no homework in PreK. The teacher does send home "practice" sheets for the kids. Only if the parent wants to and they don't have to be returned. Colby usually does 1 page a night. Only because he wants to do "homework" with his brothers. Some nights I give him a picture to color for him something to do.

For my oldest it isn't anything for her to have 2 hours of homework a night. I will say most of it is time management for her. She doesn't use her time as wisely at school as she could.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle responded:
We haven't had homework sent home yet. I keep expecting it each week, though.

K and 1st grade were roughly the same time wise. Only about 10 minutes or so, plus read every day. I don't know about 2nd grade yet. Emily is supposed to read for 15 minutes every day, and she did get some spelling words sent home. They don't do spelling tests, so I guess we are just supposed to practice them during the week. Once they get into their 2nd math chapter, I expect about a sheet of math per night.

45 minutes of homework in 1st grade is awful!
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

cinder44 responded:
When we met our K teacher last week she said there will be no homework for her class but I do hope to do some reading with them as they progress.
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

baby1at35 replied to cinder44's response:
We had curriculum night last night for Henry's class...last week was Tre's.
I like both teachers and feel like my kids are looked at as whole little people. Not just a "student"" to poor information in. They are treated as humans.
And even if they get in a bit of trouble they are still respected which did not happen last year for Henry.
However Tre still wants homework ! I need to pull up her website and see if there is stuff to do on there!
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley. I am happily married, with 2 boys 4 years and 18 months. I am a stay at home mother, and love it! .

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.