Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The Birds & The Bees
mrswhitecastle posted:
I think it's time to have "The Talk" with Emily. We have talked before, but I haven't explained everything to her. I think she's really wanting to know. Over the weekend, she asked me how babies get in a belly. We were out in public, so not exactly the best place to have the convo.

I'm curious, though, when did your parent(s) have the talk with you? When do you plan on having it with DC?

I was in 2nd grade, DH was in 4th. He thinks it's too early, but I don't. I think 4th grade is way too late, especially for a girl.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

seeit2 responded:
My mom handed me a book when I was in 5th grade and that was the extent of it for me. I agree earlier is probably better, depending on your kid. Let us know how that goes, ok?
Esmerelda Supercalifragilistic (41) DD (5) DS (2) Just eat it, will ya

baby1at35 replied to seeit2's response:
My experience was like Deb's. About 6th grade a book.
I hope to do better with my boys. Although this is when I wish DH was here to do that. The boy/guy thing.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

kc_94920 responded:
I agree with your DH but then again my oldest will be 10 next month and has yet to ask much about anything. I mean she pretty much knows nothing about sex, reproduction or even periods. I've always been open with her and answer all her questions in an age appropriate yet honest way but she's very disinterested in such topics at this point. In June, I brought up this subject with 10-12 other moms of girls (9 years old) in her class and was relieved to hear all but 2-3 were still as uninformed as M is.

Now, if she appeared to be a child who would be an early developer I would have talked to her more deeply when we had our first chat about puberty last year. But as it was, she barely cared to listen to details about physical changes, vitamins and face soap. At that point, I even bought her an American Girl book called the Care and Keeping of You but she looked at the cover and said, "No thanks, we can talk more about this stuff later, okay Mom?" I still have it in my closet along with another that discusses reproduction and intercourse.

I guess I've seen no need to rush it since she's not asking but did set a timeline and made the decision that around the time she turned 10 we needed to sit down and have a coffee chat about what she can expect from her body in the coming years. If that goes well, I'll continue on to more of the Birds and the Bees. They do not teach Sex Ed until 5th grade at her school.
KC~ Mady (9) Logan (7) and Coco (4)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.