Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergies
sarah0323 posted:
I am so tired of my allergies. I have horrible environmental allergies. I always have. I'm allergic to just about everything. I just can't get a break with them. I am miserable. I started allergy shots over a year ago. Still no help. I just want to feel "normal" for a while. I have been congested and have had a horrible cough for a week and a half now. I woke up with a sinus headache this morning.

They are harvesting in our area so I know that doesn't help. OK rant over. Just tired of feeling yucky.

The good news is Cristopher's environmental allergies haven't started bothering him yet. Hoping they don't for a long time

Is anyone else have trouble with their allergies?
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

mrswhitecastle responded:
Sorry you aren't feeling very well.

Mine have been acting up this year, but I can get relief with OTC meds. Emily is terrible, though. Her allergist said her next step would be allergy shots. Her current meds just aren't cutting it, so at our next appt we will discuss the shots.

Do you mind sharing what all is involved in allergy shots? Are you glad you are trying them? What made you make the decision to try them?
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
I have had horrible environmental allergies my whole life. I am literally allergic to just about everything. For years I did OTC and RX meds. I have carried an EPI pen for my allergies since I was in High School. I just couldn't get any releif from allergies. The dr. brought up to me that the only thing I had left to try was shots. I started with another round of allergy testing (just because it had been awhile since I had one). After the testing the Dr. wrote the order for allergy shots. Someone in their lab mixed up the "vaccine". Every week I go in and get 2 shots. 1 in each arm. They don't really hurt. Once in a while it will sting but the shot is only below the skin not into the muscle. I have talked to alot of people and they are seeing relief of their allergies. They swear by them. I was so tired of feeling miserable all the time that I was willing to try anything. The deciding factor to me was that our insurance will cover allergy shots 100% but they don't cover most of the allergy meds that they were putting me on. I can actually go out and mow the grass now without being miserable. So I know they are helping but just not as fast as I would like. It can be a pain to have to go in every week for years but I hope/pray that someday I won't be miserable because of allergies.

When you get the allergy shot they are actually injecting you with what you are allergic to. They start out with a very small amount and they they work their way up. The nurse that gives me my shot said that most people can tell a difference about 9 months after they start shots. She is right. For me it isn't a huge difference but I will take baby steps.

Sorry that got so long. I hope Emily gets releif soon. I know it is no fun being miserable.

mrswhitecastle replied to sarah0323's response:
Not too long at all! I love hearing about the experience first hand. It is encouraging (to me) to hear that they are helping, even if it is only a little bit.

Ugh. That probably means they will have to do another skin test on her, too. I just wish I could get the shots for her. It's hard for me to think about her getting a shot every week. But, that attitude isn't going to get us anywhere.

I've never heard of carrying an Epi for environmental allergies. That must be really scary. You NEVER know when you may need it. At least for us, we can semi-control it and just not have Emily eat while we are out.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

baby1at35 replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
My sinuses are a mess this week. The boys are as well. The allergy meds simply do not work well on the boys. They have flonase which helps and bendryl at night is our routine.
I need to add the saline spray as well to help.
I technically do not have "allergies" as skin test showed. I have rhinitis so basically no allergy meds will help me.
I feel really cruddy so I am going to try and get an appt with with the doc tommorow.
Me (43) 2 busy boys 7 yrs and 6 yrs

sarah0323 replied to baby1at35's response:
I went back to the dr. yesterday. On top of allergies I now bronchitis. I'm back on prednisone again. This is the 3rd time I've had bronchitis this year.

Hoping everyone gets some much needed releif from their allergies soon.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Carrie. I have wonderful 4 year old son and an amazing husband. We were married on June 15, 2013 and he is a wonderful stepfather to my son...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.