Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DD eating breakfast
cinder44 posted:
So the kids stared K this week & as I feared it is a struggle to get DD to eat breakfast. I just don't think she wants to eat right after getting up. The bad things is she needs to eat then & she has no other time. She can't eat on the bus & she gets to school too late to eat there. Any tips? I just don't want her to be dragging by lunch time.
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

mrswhitecastle responded:
Do they have a morning snack time? Will she eat after she's gotten dressed and is ready to go?

Elizabeth is like that. She doesn't want to eat right away. We have afternoon K, so it's not a big deal. But, when we do need to get going in the morning, she usually eats a cereal/granola bar with a slice of cheese or a spoonful of peanut butter. Nuts aren't an option for us, but might work for you.

I find it works better if I treat it more like a snack than a real breakfast.
Emily (7) Elizabeth (5)

sarah0323 responded:
Would she drink a smoothie? I have one who wouldn't eat in the mornings but would drink a smoothie. I make his smoothie with frozen fruit, yogurt & milk. Also, my kids have to get dressed before they will eat. They have to have a few minutes to wake up.

What about something novel for breakfast. My kids love pancakes on a stick (think corn dog but with sausage). I have even done toaster struddels. I'm honestly more concerned that they eat something than what it is. Most mornings they eat cereal but we have the others in the freezer when they just don't want to eat. They have also eaten leftovers.

Do they get a snack at school? My kids have a snack every day at 9:00am. The teachers know that the kids don't always eat in the mornings. This gives them something until lunch. Our school doesn't serve breakfast though.
Me 33, DD - O 13, DS1 -J 8, DS2 - Cr 6, DS3 - Co 5, DD2 - E (11/10)

cinder44 responded:
I let them wake up lounge in bed a few min, go pee & get dressed. I even let her pick what she wants to eat but she usually tells me she's full before half of it is gone. They go to all day K so no morning snack. They eat Lunch at 11 & have afternoon snack at 2:30.

I guess I'll keep trying different things.
Me, DH, DD(5), DS(5)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a SAHM (HBP Depression sleep apnea) to my 2 kids DS (eczema milk allergy) 6 and DD 10 (asthma eczema and allergic to almost everything w fur) I h...More

Helpful Tips

Re-enforce good counting techniques.
Use gold plastic coins to encourage counting. When the child does anything worthwhile or helpful give tokens and then ask the child how ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.